View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post

Although “francophone” does exist in English, it is rarely used, I find. I therefore tend to translate it to “French-speaking”.

Oh yes, knowing the meaning of the word in French and not finding the exact equivalent in English, or vice-versa, happens to me all the time. Sometimes, there is just no true equivalent. What is worse for me are words that are the same in English and French, but don’t quite mean the same thing. Arrrrrrgggghhh!
Exactly!! For example I still couldn't tell you an exact translation for the French expression "une pièce phare" even though in my head I know what it means. So frustrating sometimes!

Quote:
Or sound replacement when I write in English (to = too, then = than...). I have to concentrate like crazy, end even than...
I have the same problem in French, especially when differentiating between verb endings... sort of like how "j'ai" and "j'aie" sound pretty identical when said aloud but are used in very different circumstances.

Quote:
For a decade or so, but a long time after MF had left Québec, I actually lived a few streets away from where she was born. She is from Québec, but she got French nationality through her parents, if I remember well.
Yes, I think Mylène and her parents moved to France when she was 8 years old.