View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 07:17 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Mylene is from Quebec, Canada, rather than France itself, isn't she? That could be one of the issues with the lyrics.
Yes she's born there, but her parents were French anyway (see in "Biography" here) so I think that her French kept good roots of French from France as well. Although, she was already 8 when they were back to France, but you adapt quickly at that age...

Quote:
(crocuses)
I use "those" instead of "the," because it hints towards the specific reference of the children's song.
Better indeed.

Quote:
Indeed, the second time she uses the "upside down" line, it is "Tête à l'envers,"
Oops you're right, she says both actually.

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that "Tête à l'envers" refers to the situation between the lovers, rather than one of the lovers themself?
My guess is that I don't know

Quote:
"Return" and "Come Back" both mean the same thing, actually
Oops 2, I don't know why I first read "return" as a noun. They're both the same indeed.

Quote:
In English, the stand-alone phrase "for good" is the same as "forever." Is that what what the song means?
Yes. I know some people may use "pour de bon" as "for real" as well but the real meaning is "for good".

Quote:
Its most common usage is to suggest a leak in a house that allows the wind in. For ease of comprehension, I'm guessing perhaps "breeze" is the usage desired.
That's exactly the meaning of "courant d'air", but you'll have no possibility for a pun with "current" if you use draught or breeze

Quote:
It might make it easier to understand if I turned it in to "I want more than an "I'm attached." To say one is "attached" implies the "to someone" in English. If you mean anything else, it needs to be specified at the time
In French too, so "Je m'attache" alone sounds weird in the original as well...

Quote:
"Have it in for" somebody does mean the same as "To want to get even with" somebody. It basically means that person has done something to you, and now you want to do something to them in return.
That's it, exactly.

I forgot that line in ACC yesterday btw:
- "Of times that bar us,": "se barrer" means "partir" in slang. My dictionary says "to clear off"

Also, I just retrieved that page:
http://www.alizee-fanpage.com/page.p...content=lyrics
Maybe you could have a look at those other attempts