Thread: Youpidou
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've a doubt about Youpidou: I've always wondered what this word means but I've never found nothing about it. But I just remembered where I heard this word before: a song of Adriano Celentano, a famous Italian singer, and I'm referring to the song "Yuppi du", which is also the soundtrack of the movie of the same name (1974). The pronunciation of "Yuppi du" and "Youpidou" is the same.

So, the movie Yuppi du is about a very difficult love, I'll try to briefly sum up the plot. The protagonist's a poor man, Felice. His wife apparently committed suicide, but some years later she decided to come back because of her love towards him. But then she realized that she didn't want to leave her new husband and her new luxurious life, so she left again Felice.

Now, I read Alizée's song lyrics and probably there is nothing in common between this two songs, apart from the end of the protagonists' love. But anyway that's still something! At least for a word that, from what I know, has been used only in this two works.

About what yuppi du means, Celentano said: "Tutto e niente. E’ un grido d’amore, di gioia e di dolore. In tutte le lingue. E’ un grido universale”.
In english it should be: it means everything and nothing. It's a shout of love, happiness and heartache. In every language. It is a universal shout.
I put the original phrase, because I don't trust much my translation.

So what do you think? Is it possible that Mylene Farmer was inspired by Yuppi du? This movie was also nominated at Cannes and Venice film festivals, so she could know it