View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 12:01 AM

Cire is on a distinguished road
Default Porquois pas, Les Etats-Unis?

Dear AA,

I have wasted (invested?) an entire week-end maxing out my bandwidth trying to decipher the riddle that is Alizee. Using this site and others to figure out as many of the why factors as I can, such as the "Why does Alizee affect me in ways no other pop performer does?" questions that I suspect haunt most of our fellow members.

One obvious question I have seen no hint of an answer to is this: Why has Alizee never attempted to enter the USA market? She has crossed to Russia, japan, Poland and even lists her success in England as her single proudest professional achievement because French language singers have traditionally failed in England.

Well, guess what? No German pop song had ever done well in America until 99 Luftballons (and Alizee has it all over that singer) or any other language for that matter until that special talent who was able to transend entrenched attitudes arose.

What were Alizee's handlers thinking? The Beatles realized they hadn't achieved the summit until America had been conquered, and their success in 1964 opened the doors for the British invasion. The entire French music industry has suffered without someone to penetrate and overwhelm American resistance.

Why has Alizee loitered beyond our welcoming shores? Is it because her mentor has a major attitude against the USA? (Her latest song is "Fuck Them All" after all, so we aren't talking about somebody without an agenda.)

I listened to every interview I could find but amazingly nobody asked, and Alizee never mentioned (in my searches) why the land of opportunity was proscribed from her special gifts. I mean, instead of staring at slutty images of Brittany and Mariah while waiting to check out groceries, I could have been catching up on an angel!

So far as I know, the only time she came to the US was to get married. There is irony there, whether comic or tragic, I can't quite tell. What don't I know?