View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Tapping on the microphone

Originally Posted by docdtv:
But what if you can't get even 2,500 people together at the same time in the biggest, richest French city in the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Then you do smaller venues.
Indeed, that is just my point! What's new now is that sending a high-quality 3D video link, and even getting a video link back costs a pittance, even when paid for with a small venue audience. The small venue business need no longer be as painful. That's why I am polling people to see how much they'd pay.

And as far as Americans, say in the Bos-Wash corridor, are concerned, consider this. The cost in money and time of traveling round-trip to France or Israel or even just Monterey in Mexico might be so prohibitive that they would never attend a live Alizée event in any of those places. But maybe one could gather 250 of them at a theater in New York City, and entertaining them live could actually be made lucrative enough to Alizée, because she could do the show from her home town.

P.S. Don't ask ME why people like live shows. Just as I would rather read a published book than its first draft, I would rather watch the En Concert video than attend a live concert, in person or remotely, even cost and convenience aside. When compelled to offer my best rationales for the appeal of live concerts to others, here is what I come up with.
1. You get to share time (and maybe even body fluids) with other fans.
2. You get to "touch" the performers with your voice and placard, if not with your hand.
3. You get to see if the performers make mistakes (curiosity or Schadenfreude?)
4. You get to escape the "psychological shadow" of your usual dwellings and its denizens.
5. In the old days, video quality (noise, resolution) fell far short of a good theater seat. Some poor souls still haven't seen modern displays and far more are unwilling to pay for the improvement, which is why not everything mediated is shot at the technology frontier. (Note: As a student, I listened to all my music through a telephone speakerphone meant for a 3KHz bandwidth signal, rather than spend money on even a simple "decent" speaker.)

You will note the type of event I posit here is almost as much a meeting as a concert. (i.e. with a greatly enhanced rationale 2 noted above.) That adds a dimension to its appeal, potentially increasing the admission price people will pay, while reducing the professional demands on the performer.