View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 11:19 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Yeah, you're not. That's why I said it, older than me!

Hmm... Hard to say, I think you were both "ordinary men" i.e. like maybe most, in good shape, + 50 years old and the other one, probably you, had brown short hair or something similar in style...? Because you were closer, Scruffy was behind you and that's why he didn't see that car right away...

It would be exciting, and pretty scary too, if the description hit!
Well, you got the brown hair right, and it's pretty short. But one thing you forgot is the encroaching gray, so more salt and pepper hair than anything.

Scruffy could not see the car right away because I am 193 cm in height and I'm sure I blocked his vision a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
AAnd yeah, and it’s maybe a bit like in music, so the rise of series from other countries is harder, even though in this case “Emme” is also an English-language series.
Even though there is no language barrier between the US and UK, I do think the British accent can become overwhelming and hard to understand at times. I've watched a lot of British TV over the years so I am accustomed to it, but every now and then I find certain variations of the accent very hard to follow. I can imagine the difficulty is worse with those with very little or no exposure to British TV. Even so, Americans love to hear the British (and Australians) talk.

Now Ricky Gervais is extremely popular in the US. Being the creator of The Office in the UK, there was little chance it would make it in the US as-is, so he produced an Americanized version of it, with American actors and the paper company set in an American city. It became one of the biggest comedy series of all time (nine seasons), and now with Netflix, is their most popular show by far.