View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I have always been a fan of progressive rock music so it should come as no surprise that UEDS ranks as my second favorite Alizee album. I like the electronic effects that she uses in the album, but it is overused a little.

My overall favorite song of the album is Grand Central. When she starts talking the lyrics at the 2:00 minute mark, her voice is soft and sexy. There are plenty of time signature changes in the song to make it interesting and unpredictable.

Limelight is a close second. There is not a lot of lyrics, but from what there are, Alizee sings in English. I adore her accent when speaking or singing in English, so that helps rank the song up there near the top.

I think Mes fantômes is one of the most beautiful songs that Alizee has ever sung. The song needs a bridge to connect the second and third stanzas because overall the song sounds repetitive, but maybe that was intended. It's a very good song nonetheless.

Factory Girl deserves special mention. A few years back I took a winter road trip and got caught in an ice storm when I was within a half an hour from a hotel I planned on staying at for the night. It was midnight and very tired from the drive that day, and I had to drop my speed substantially and concentrate on not sliding off the highway. I was listening to UEDS at the time and Factory Girl came on. The intensity of the song and the intensity of the drive matched up closely, so I put it on repeat. That half hour got stretched to well over an hour, and I played Factory Girl all the way to the hotel parking lot.