View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 11:16 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

So…

Midweek IG posts?

A couple…

A couple of shots of Alizée’s tiny little miss sweetness, Maggy…

<Snaps off a couple of cutesy little waves>

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
My body type is more like a lineman in football (American), and that is what I played when much younger. You are expected to add as much body mass as possible. When I hit the big 5-0, I hired a personal trainer who was an ex female competitive body builder and now trains younger people wanting to do the same. I wasn't in the "younger people" camp, but she couldn't say no to my money, so for the next year I followed her regimen. Both in the gym and a diet she designed. A year later I lost a bunch of excess weight, was in the best shape of my life and felt great, but there was no way I could get below 13% body fat, and I had to work extremely hard to get to that. My family and friends freaked out, thinking I was wasting away from some kind of disease.

That kind of regimen was unsustainable long term. I was absolutely no fun to go out to eat with because I would order half a chicken and nothing else. I think in the end body type is genetics. As RedRafe suggested, those whose ancestry is from the colder regions carry a higher percentage of body fat to help with survival.
Firstly, deepest respect for the type of training regimen you undertook, when you “hit the big 50”…

It’s daunting, and, very hard to sustain at any age, long term, unless you are very very dedicated. I got utterly sick of eating literally nothing but Chicken or Turkey, chased by Sliced tomato, Cucumber and Broccoli. Oh, and drinking “protein shakes” that tasted like a combination of a cheap milkshake “gussied up” with a chalky antacid remedy…

Blaaghh…

Now, I will admit, that after I left the “Forces”, with regard to overall “fitness”, I did “let things go”, a bit…

There was no need to go for a 10 time mile run at 4:30am every morning, nor spend 3, or more, hours in the gym everyday, just to maintain a very high fitness level, that was no longer necessary, nor required…

I wasn’t a soldier, any more…

There were no more “enemies of freedom and justice” to be “fended off”. No more “Dragons” to "slay". No more "Princesses" to "rescue", no more "Goddesses", that required “impressing”…

I got “lazy”, “bored”, and put on a “bit” of weight, which did not "suit" me, and tried the very same thing with regard to fitness, at the same age, as you did...

However, no matter how hard I tried, I was never ever going to be as fit, as I was before, age simply wasn’t going to allow it, and my poor body, well, it had been VERY well “used”, and this new exercise regime just felt like “unwarranted” and “pointless” punishment...

It really “sucks”, getting older, so it does…

<sigh>

Now with regard to “body type”, I’m an “ectomorphic mesomorph, with very slight endomorphic tendencies”…

“Long”, “lean” and muscular, buuttt, if I don’t actively maintain these muscles, they tend to vanish pretty quickly, and instead, “treacherously” replace themselves with midline “fluffiness”, given half a chance…

Not a good “look” for me…

<Sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by imverynuts View Post
I have a physique similar to Greg's, tho almost never as cut (he probably had around 8% bodyfat at some point, I maybe have had 10% at one point). If it were my job I'm sure I could get even more similar looking. Tho I have no where near the energy levels he has when it comes to dancing!
Once, in my military career, I actually got as low as 10% bodyfat, kind of accidentally…

At that point, I was 6’ 3”, weighing 196lbs, which was almost a “perfect” according to contemporary BMI ratings/measurements...

Sounds great, doesn’t it, but, when my girlfriend saw me, she cried, long and very hard, and not in a “good” way. These were NOT “tears of joy”…

Very long story, short, i’d been sent off on a “gig”, waay up north, that went “awry”, and the “op” took 17 days, instead of it’s projected 9, due to horrendously bad weather. I had supplies for 12 days, averaging a required consumption of around 6500 to 7500 calories, per day…

You can imagine how that went…

245lbs going out, 196lbs coming back…

As one of my senior NCO’s put it, “Cheese and Rice” Red, you look like a bloody “Racing Ferret”, or “something”, now. I’ve seen more meat on a “Butchers Pencil””…

Never could never quite figure out what a “Racing Ferret” was, but got the general “analogy”, and after the initial shock, my “Irish Godessness” grew to appreciate my new, “slinky”, look…

Took me a year to get back my accustomed “fighting trim”…

Never again…

Looking “ripped” was definitely not a good look, for me, at all, either…

Y’all take care, be safe, and, please stay warm, ‘k…

Last edited by RedRafe; 01-29-2020 at 11:30 PM..