View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Mélodie de vie, c'est l'odyssée!

Marka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_HRO87 View Post
But there's actually a (minority) language in Germany that is a lot closer to Czech than to German because it's a Slavic language (but I have never met anyone who talks this language because it's located in South Brandenburg/East Saxony which is too far away from my city ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbian_languages
Sorbian and Slovenian are one of the few languages in the world that have dual next to singular and plural. Being a Slovene myself, I consider it natural to use dual when I speak with someone in my own language, but I have noticed that more and more people of my generation (and younger generations) in my country are starting to use plural instead of dual, using the latter only when they want to stress that only two persons will do something (for example, when they talk about having a date or having sex ). Anyway, I see dual as something intimate and personal and I don't care if younger generations think that its outdated.

Sometimes, when I talk to somebody in Croatian or Serbian (which are similar to Slovenian), I sometimes intuitively try to use Slovenian dual, which of course makes no sense to the person I am talking to

-------------------------------------------------------
About which language I perceive as the most beautiful - none, really. Every language can be beautiful, flowing and poetic, if you listen to the right person who tries to make it sound flowing and poetic.

Therefore, French as a language is to me as beautiful as Croatian, Russian, Italian, Swiss German, ... if only I like the content of what is being spoken and if I like the person who speaks it. I would classify Esperanto as my favorite language - it is fairly logical, easy to learn and it sounds familiar to me.