View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 05:30 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road
Default Le Play that could have cost San Francisco the Game !

As I think I've said before the Punt or kickoff is actually one of the most dangerous plays in the game; because anything can happen ! And the last thing a PR Punt Returner or KR the Kickoff returner want to do is Fumble the Football because if the enemy recovers it will be deep in your own territory. So the situation is San Francisco is leading 10 to 6 in the 3rd Quarter ! The San Francisco Defence stops Kansas City on a 4th down with 2 Yards to go; so Kansas City decides to punt the ball ! British or Australian fans may think of it; if the ball is punted safely, then 10 big "Rugby" style players are running down the field as fast as they can go, to hit the punt returner and cause him to fumble ! So KC Punts the ball and their coverage defence gets down to the SF PR fast; so he decides to let the ball bounce possibly into the end zone for a touch back to the 20 yard line. Unfortunately , though, the ball hits the foot of another SF player, so then it is a loose ball or the same as a fumble so the KC players can recover it ! The SF PR desperately tries to get his hands on the ball; but he is knocked out of the play and then KC players recover the ball on the SF 16 yard line as a fumble ! And with an excellent QB as Mahomes is for KC; he has only 16 yards to go for his touchdown and then KC takes the Lead !
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...c6317d67&ei=37

Or another view; I think...

http://sports.yahoo.com/super-bowl-4...023643262.html

Everyone misses this though....The KC Punter is run into by a SF Defender ! This is Roughing the kicker which results in an automatic first down for the kicking team ! ( This is to prevent hurting the kicker whose leg is extended in the kick and he is defenceless at that point ! ) You can block the football in it's kick; but you cannot run into the kicker ! The referees seemingly don't call this as they see KC recover the football on the SF 16 yard line; so the penalty would have been Declined anyway.

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 02-12-2024 at 06:11 PM..