View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
ic of International artists like Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry to name a few. On one of my trips to Paris, I had asked a young man who his favorite singers were and rattled off several names, not one of them French. Not enough for a scientific study, but like I said, I've heard on a few occasions it's tough for French singers because they are competing against the top artists in the world.
Attachment 2483
As I see it, the problem isn't the "French market"--- the problem is the fact that aside from Boudennat, French songwriters aren't the best. I think that French singers are starved for material-- and for some reason this impacts the women much more than the men.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
It's not like French pop music is inferior in quality of music or talent. In fact, I find it superior in some ways.
I don't think that's true. Compare France with England. Over the course of modern music, British songwriters have cranked out mega-hit after mega-hit--- whereas French songwriters have done nothing of the sort.

Where is the French Beatles?
Where is the French Rolling Stones?
Where is the French Moody Blues?
Where is the French Led Zeppelin?
Where is the French Supertramp?

The list goes on and on...

Has there ever been a world-class French rock band??? Can you name a single one??? Just one???

Aside from Boudennat, French songwriters aren't anywhere near as good as British songwriters.

Do you see what I mean?

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
.... But in general, she preferred American (and sometimes British) pop music. I don't know if that was typical of young French people then, or if it is typical now. And I don't know if it was because of the language, or because the English speaking singers were just marketed better.
There is only one possible explanation: French pop music isn't as good as British and American pop music. And that comes down to the songwriting itself and not marketing.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 01-30-2019 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts