View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by matevz91 View Post
You know, Alizée is not just a person, is not just someone we hear when we listen to UEDS or MCE, when we look at our computer desktop, ... as per my understanding, she is foremost a symbol, a symbol of Alizée-ness, which has a different meaning to every individual.
Eh, she isn't a symbol to me. But I still get what you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I cannot, however, imagine "going nuts" over any person, much less sixty years from now... once again, maybe it's just a man thing
I can think of another way a fan could "go nuts" over a celebrity, actor, sports figure, etc. For several years I helped out on a pro drag racing team, and we traveled all over and had a great time and even won sometimes. The only way to make a small fortune racing is to start out with a big one. So the owner stopped and some of us went with another team but that wasn't fun so I got out of it. But what I'm getting at is that some of the spectators acted like the drivers were gods or something and wanted autographs and we'd give out old parts, and sold t-shirts and they just snapped everything up. We went along with it because we knew that the fans paid for tickets and that gave us places to race. To us, our fellow racers were just regular people we'd see at each event. We'd stay at the same hotels and go to the same restaurants and fly on the same planes. Nearly everyone involved in the class had real jobs as well in many different fields. There was nothing special about any of the drivers as far as I was concerned. Some I didn't even like. I don't think any of the fans acted like they did because of a 'man thing', I think there is something in human nature that can affect fans with respect to their chosen superstar. I don't know how it works.

There is more than one way a fan can go nuts over their ... I'll use 'hero' to simplify writing. I'm just offering an alternative to the 'man thing' theory. Though I'm sure that it's valid on many occasions as well.

I never imagined I'd be anyone's fan. I used to make fun of fans, and friends who I thought were being fan-nish. I sure don't do that anymore. In fact, I find that I'm much more agreeable at work and maybe even more understanding of the things others do that make no sense to me. Not really understanding, I still don't get it, but maybe I give them the benefit of the doubt that their ways will work somehow.

What Azhiri wrote
Quote:
She taught me to demonstrate grace in not-so-ideal situations, behave kindly, professionally, and respectfully towards everyone
about her Alizée-ish-ness does feel similar to what has happened to me. Not the same exact benefits, but the same kind of positive outcome. Both outward and inward. I'm a fan of that. I'll never be able to thank her enough. I think initially I was starstruck or something, but that's fading as far as I can tell.

I hope anyone who made the effort was able to follow that at least a bit.