View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

Hi, Dwightks! Pleased to meet you!

If you already know several languages, well, you obviously have a knack for learning languages. French may not be so difficult for you at all.

To your question #1: No. I'd learned French back as a kid in school. Then I forgot a lot of it from about 30 years of disuse. Until listening to Alizée, when I was inspired to brush up and relearn a lot of it. And since that time, we got new neighbors down the street - from France! They were quite pleasantly surprised that we were into French music, language, and culture, and now we're very good friends.

Vocabulary or pronunciation? Start with vocabulary! Words! You can't work on pronunciation until you have something to pronounce.

But seriously, my advice is start with the the most basic things: être and avoir ("to be" and "to have"). First learn "je suis" and "j'ai". You can say a lot with those. Je suis fatigué. J'ai chaud. Then work on the other present-tense forms (conjugations) of those two verbs. You are, he is, they are; you have, she has, and so forth. Tu es trop tard, Il a cinq euros. Most of the other verbs in French are a lot simpler to conjugate, but these are the two you'll be using most often.

Actually the library had a good book we got last month: "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning French Yourself". I highly recommend it! The internet's great, but so is a nice linear path like you get from a book. (If your library doesn't have this book, Amazon does, starting around six bucks.) Your local library may also have language CD's - even if they're not Rosetta, they'll still help a little with the pronunciation.