View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
Yeah sorry I should have included the first one you mentioned.

But isn't the second one you suggested the same as "I think people should be able to discuss mature topics about Alizee's song lyrics in [MDO] labeled threads"?

And [MDO] labeled threads mean Mature Discussions Only about Mature topics about Alizee's song lyrics. And it is asked in those threads that people discuss those topics in a polite and respectful manner. But that doesn't mean that non-[MDO] threads are all about immature behavior and immature topics
Aaron, what I have been trying to say for quite a while now is that a forum that asks members to be polite and respectful in some specific threads (here, the [MDO] threads) is implying that it is not specifically asked to be polite and respectful in the others threads. If you enter a library that has two sections and a big sign at the entrance of section A says “When you are in section A, you must remain quiet”. Don’t you think this gives the impression that it is not asked to be quiet in section B? Personally, if a label really has to be used, I would go for [Mature content] or something of the kind.

As for the poll itself, I think it is biased in too many ways. I really wish you would have asked members for ideas before putting this up. There is no way to select for some basic choices. For example, one cannot select for “people should be able to discuss mature topics about Alizée’s work in any thread” which is quite a straightforward one if you asked me. Also, there is an unnecessary limitation to “song lyrics” in some choices. On the whole, I think this poll forces anyone interested in discussing mature topics (but against allowing people to say ANYTHING they want) to pick the [MDO] thread... with only the song lyrics as a possible mature topics.

Aaron, I am afraid this sort of polling has to be very well constructed if anyone is to conclude anything valuable from the results.

Last edited by Corsaire; 05-16-2011 at 10:15 PM..