Thread: French movies
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post

French cinema is very interesting and different from the summer action flicks we're used to. They're artsy. What I've noticed, in French movies it seems more preferable to have a somewhat slow story but strong characters rather than explosions and flying cars, you can easily go 45 minutes without any dialogue, the endings aren't really the "good guy saves the day" type of predictable endings- they're more realistic (according to the story), nudity isn't treated as a way to intrigue male viewers- it's art, and finally and more importantly it seems like most French movies were made for the pure purpose of creating the film as a work of art rather than trying to be the next box-office hit
That's pretty much how I feel as well. I actually had a bit of a hard time trying to think up of any American movie equivalents of what I was looking for. The best I could come up with were the older movies. Before the current trend of summer hits came around. The first French movie I saw was Amelie, and that was the most artsy movie I've ever seen. It's a very stark contrast with the usual artistically bland blockbuster hits I'm used to.

Another thing is that movies nowadays have gotten way too predictable. All movies follow the exact same recipe. I'm hoping for some French movies that go a least a little beyond that.