View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Elise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
You are absolutely correct and my mistake and I should have known better. Corsu goes way back long before the French took Corsica as a territory. In fact, if I was visiting Corsica and implied to the native that their language was Corsican French, I probably would have to run for my life.

Just FYI - I remember reading an article on trip planning to Corsica as a foreigner some time ago. They did not recommend trying to communicate with them in Corsican... unless you are Corsican. French is the best choice, but Italian and Spanish are passable.
Glad we resolved the misunderstanding! I think we are over-complicating the language question. I assume that if you meet a Corsican, they would speak French as a native just as much as someone from any other region of France. There are other regional languages in France but everyone knows French, it’s the language of France. Many countries have minority languages but still the national language would be spoken by all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Yeah.... Yes, especially in language learning, there often has to be interest and enthusiasm.

And it is always good if you start studying at a young age, because the older you are, the harder it can be to study...

I need to try different methods and maybe get even more reasons to study...
I like everything related to France (I’m a Francophile) so I have all the reasons to learn. I did start young and I know what you mean, it can be a challenge to make the time to practise every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rien View Post
The Tuscan dialect.

Corsican is used at all levels of education in Corsica. In most cases it is taught as a subject, but a few schools use it as a medium of instruction, along side French. Corsican courses for adults are widely available throughout Corsica, as well as in some cities on the French mainland.

More and more books are published in Corsican annually. There are also some Corsican language magazines, often sponsored or produced by political parties or cultural associations, and an increasing number of theatre productions.
This is really interesting, thank you for the information. Corsican is in a better shape than I assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
As I researched this matter further, I was surprised that the Corsican language is so small.

Alizée thus belongs to a rather small language population, although she may also speak a lot of French today.
It's a small island! Again I would say, even if they have a regional language, the national language is French so they're still native speakers.

I could be wrong on all this, just my reading and guesswork. Alex Rien, have I got it right? How do you know about this, do you know people from Corsica or something? I’m interested in minority languages and I don’t know much about this case.

Last edited by Elise; 07-01-2021 at 04:30 PM..