View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM

tracker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze View Post
I've a question about this song concerning the title. Everywhere I see that the song is called "Veni Vedi Vici", also in the songtext at the first post in this thread. Well, I despise Latin very much, yeah, but I still now that it has to be called "Veni Vidi Vici". Therefore I want to know if it's a mistake of Mylene or a mistake of all this webpages.
Other Romance languages have similar verb conjugations but with different spellings. Occitan and Catalan spell it "vedi" and it means the same thing as the Latin. I doubt it was a mistake. Perhaps, by using that spelling, instead of the famous Latin version, it implies something subtle that we don't quite understand because of the language/cultural barrier.

BTW, the translation given here isn't very accurate. I'm not fluent by any means, but there are obvious mistakes. This I think is a more accurate translation, of course, because I'm not fluent, there may still be mistakes (idioms are the bane of our existence!) and the only way to correct them would be to have someone fluent in both languages translate it.

Veni, Vedi, Vici

A dash of bliss
A laughing temperament
Because anything can happen
Time says it's easier
If we put:

A dash of citrus in the water,
It changes the taste, without changing the hydra
Life is a beautiful, spicy chili
Life which stings
Which grows like a corn field

I came, I saw, I conquered
It is a chance too
All little by little
The bird that nests, cozy
I came, I saw, I conquered
My good star shines, I have not
It's not my fault
I am good there and I love it

A dash of femininity

On a smart-bodied kid
Languages are easier, swear
Latin I love it in skin *(I think this may be an idiom, as it makes no sense literally)

A dash of infancy
When I say: it all goes too fast
It is what ensures the mothers, I mean
Far away the bells of the village,
Biting the wind...