View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 08:01 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
There are supposed to be daily, weekly and monthly backups, though I've found it's not always reliable (last time had to restore using a month old backup).

I will try to download a local copy. Though if our PHP becomes incompatible, it's possible even backups won't be useable afterward. I don't expect that to happen, but... best to be prepared.
Some time ago when we were discussing forum upgrades, I had contacted somebody at vBulletin to talk about their cloud hosting service. The cost was very reasonable per month. They would migrate AAm at no cost up to the latest version, which is v5.x. History would migrate over along with user accounts.

There is a one time cost for the vBulletin 5 license, and the amount is not so bad. There are members here that would kick in a donation towards this cost, myself included.

vBulletin would perform upgrades and backups included with the hosting fees.

There was some pushback from members who did not want to lose the chat box. vBulletin 5 has very nice features, but a native chat box is not one of them. They don't allow 3rd party add-ons to be installed on their servers. However, if it came down to having AAm without a chat box or not having AAm at all, I would choose the former every time.

I think this should be considered as a back up plan should AAm not work after the upgrade. Enough of us have each other's personal email addresses to communicate with each other if the worst happens.

If a blackout occurs, I encourage all members to keep trying to get back on periodically. I want AAm to live on and will do my part to keep this site going.