View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 PM

Panther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesterdaysAirRace View Post
Man, this place is dead. But who am I to complain, I log in about once every 18 months.

Anyway, I became a fan because I saw the video Moi Lolita circa 2006 and thought the music was outstanding. I sought out other videos and found Gourmandises and was hooked. I wanted more so I went to Amazon and looked up whatever there was for sale by her, and found the En Concert DVD. More importantly, I found the reviews there of it, and they really sold me. I ordered it, watched, and fell immediately in love. I loved the playful innocence, offset by the brooding music. Her demeanor was disarmingly easy-going and welcoming, but not facile or pollyanna. As I learned more (coming to places like here) I loved that she lived a pretty clean life; it wasn't some trash-filled story that we always get from young pop diva scene in the US or UK. In fact her whole persona, and act, seems to be the antithesis of the Britney "check out this hot schoolgirl outfit" esthetic that seems to be the default for every act. She embodied everything I never knew I wanted in a modern chanteuse.

Years later, I became a fan of anime, and discovered this idea I had of Alizee fits some well-worn anime tropes. If I'd known of them ten years ago, I probably would have thought of her as a real-life anime character.

Of course she's actually a real-life human who's had her ups and downs and who grows. I admit with every new ounce of ink she gets on her, I get sadder for the younger days. I have no idea what's up with her career; I come here once in a while and it seems she's just doing dance competition TV shows now, or something—even the home page here seems to have given up keeping us up-to-date on her status.

I'm frustrated she didn't get a break in Hollywood or London to play an amazing movie character; something that was never going to happen anyway I'm sure because she has steadfastly refused to learn English. I'm sad her post-Mylene music was so uneven and really never was as good. I'm forever wishing for more concert footage from that one glorious moment, knowing it's gone forever.

So I don't know if I really am a fan anymore, like I was then; I'm clearly living off the fumes of what I found back then. I put the live CD on once in a great while and am amazed all over, but I know that's a long time gone, so it's really just nostalgia for what was.

Still, she looks to be doing well, and she seems she's just as sweet and calm as ever, so I imagine I'll always be fond of her and whatever she does.

Pretty much mirrors my own experience except that I discovered her whilst looking for a different female french singer whose music was being used in some perfume ads.

I do still play the CDs quite often and they always make me feel good.