View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 03:46 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
like I said, it's just Google,but I noticed that a lot of people translate it as "Our universes"
I found some analysis of the song A contre-courant,maybe it can help with the translation.

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678
Here's a picture of some of those analysis along with some notes......

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yah...ew?usp=sharing

The translation is a help, but it's a translation to fully explain the song. It's intent is not to find an English translation of the lyrics that will sound good in place of the French lyrics. To do that, compromises need to be made.
Another thing you have to realize is if 3 different people try to explain this, they'll probably will have 3 different interpretations and in some cases very different interpretations. I'm sure RMJ of Alizee Art has interpretations of all these songs and though I'm sure he put a lot of time and effort into them. he is originally from Finland.
I still like my version. Just taking a quick look of the interpretation you posted a link to, here are some notes.

1: Again I prefer "So I can imagine".

2: "............Under high voltage". In this country, high tension lines are the usually the large power lines that are high up on a tower, running in between cities that carry thousands of volts of electricity. Under high tension, I think sounds better than under high voltage and it's what she is saying in the song.

3: "But no takes..... of nerfs.....". Nerfs is not an English word that applies here imo.

4 : It's my experience that I have not heard the word maximal used in this way very often. It is the correct use, but I think maximum is used more often and I think it's easier to understand.

That's as far as I went with this. I still like my version. With coming up with the English lyrics, sometimes you have to sacrifice 'some' meaning for sound and sometimes you have to sacrifice "some' sound for meaning.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-06-2020 at 04:03 AM..