View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
The engineer on the project, Alan Parsons, said no one in the band ever mentioned TWOZ during the recording, and the rooms they worked in at Abby Road Studios lacked the facilities to watch or synch anything to film. Furthermore, the songs on the album were recorded out of order and during 2 separate sessions. Therefore, I have to conclude that this is all a very interesting coincidence.

Actually, I have always thought that Alan Parsons had been disingenuous about his comments concernnig the TDSOO “synchronization” topic. I believe that AP knows very well that you did not need to play a movie in the sound studio to produce a soundtrack. He also knows very well that in 1972-73, there was nothing magical about making studio recorded songs and sounds fit any specific pre-established time patterns. In a way, it's almost as if AP is having fun at the expense of PF fans.

It is also interesting to point out that three years before the release of TDSOTM, Roger Waters collaborated with Ron Geesin on creating songs and sounds to match the images of the movie The Body. The soundtrack was released in 1970 and was titled Music From the Body. Here is an excerpt from the movie “The Body”:

Incidentally, it is worth noting that you can hear here the predecessor of TDSOTM’s “Breathe”.

More information about the soundtrack:
http://www.floydianslip.com/pink-flo...lbum.php?id=34

Why would it be so inconceivable that Roger Waters and the boys would have secretly created a soundtrack to TWOO when Roger Waters collaborated on such a project 3 years before TDSOTM? Also, "Us and Them" is known to have been based from a piece originally composed by Wright for the film Zabriskie Point.

BTW, it is not as if PF discovered something that had never been done before 1973. Scoring a movie is quite a simple process, really. There are different ways to go about it, but, as explained before, you can simply watch the movie and record the exact time where each song has to start. Also, you record the exact time of key moments where you might want to add sound effects, solos... This process is nothing unusual, it is called “spotting”. Afterwards, you get busy writing the music (you can also reuse songs and/or modified existing songs to make them fit the concept). Then, you record the songs and effects. You do not have to record in any particular order. In the last stage of production, you make all the pieces fit the pre-established time signature, and to have plenty of room to play with timing, you can add some “filling” between the tracks (as PF did for TDSOTM and The Wall). This way, you can adjust the start of a song by adding or removing some of that filling.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I'd like to hear about it. I've never really thought about mind control and our society, but I remember an interesting Chuck Palahniuk quote:

"Experts in ancient Greek culture say that people back then didn’t see their thoughts as belonging to them. When ancient Greeks had a thought, it occurred to them as a god or goddess giving an order. Apollo was telling them to be brave. Athena was telling them to fall in love. Now people hear a commercial for sour cream potato chips and rush out to buy, but now they call this free will. At least the ancient Greeks were being honest."

It is interesting that you mention this. A friend of mine often correlates mind control or mass manipulation with ancient Greek culture in the very same way as what you wrote. Myself, I believe that from the dawn of Humanity, people with certain knowledge have always controlled the non-initiated. In each epoch, the manipulation techniques used by the elite have been unknown to the masses. I believe every modern society is also controlled to a certain extent; a culture necessarily implies a certain degree of control. For example, people erroneously think that music and movies (or any mass-oriented entertainment) show a reflection of what the masses are or what the masses want, when in reality, it is the music and the movies that mould the masses. Mass-oriented entertainment is primarily a mass manipulation enterprise before it is a money making business. I might write more about this topic (in the context of recurrent themes) at some point...

Last edited by Corsaire; 06-07-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts