View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Luckily this is a reel of the worst hits rather than exactly what happens every single game, it's in an incredibly physically demanding sport. The overall stamina of the players is unreal, you need to be really good with basically every aspect of athleticism; running, jumping, throwing, kicking, tackling, all parts of the game.
The sport if huge here, has been around for about 150 years, packs out the MCG (100,000 capacity) for the final every season, has the 5th highest average attendance of any sport league on the planet, you get the idea.
I had completely missed your post here. It was the day I left on vacation for a week.

I am familiar with AFL, but not enough to know the rules of the game. I have seen some video highlights like the one you posted out of curiosity. My first impression was that you must be ready, willing and able to sacrifice your body for that ball! No protective gear. Just like people who watch NASCAR races for the possibility of an impressive car crash, the crowd watching the AFL matches are waiting for the next crash of bodies.

One thing that is obvious of the players is that unlike American football players, it looks advantageous to be quick and lean with the ability to jump well.