View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminAlizée333 View Post
Did you make any watermelon-containing foods/beverages?
I would've :P
I know that feeling, but instead of watermelon it was a veggie :P

There is many varieties around here depending on location/farmer/season.(Which I meant as differentiation of size and taste)

I got some heirloom watermelon seeds (NON_GMO)
This was when I lived in Southeast Texas outside of Houston. They would pick them starting in May and harvest would last a month into June. Even in May, the heat and humidity would start becoming a factor where you just wanted to stay in the air conditioning until evening. So for the watermelon I picked, I put it in the refrigerator until it got cold, cut it in half, then take a spoon and spoon it out. At the end, it is like a bowl of liquid inside, so just tilt it and drink!

I think watermelon picking is about the most labor intensive farm job I would see. There would be about ten guys that spread out in a line, with a truck hauling a flatbed trailer on the end. They would walk slowly, pick up a melon, toss it to the next guy, turn and catch one from the guy on the other side, turn back to toss it to the other guy. They made a conveyor belt until it reached the guy by the trailer, and he would stack it. They did they all day, and it looked grueling.

Curious as to the type of climate in your part of the world?