View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Doesn't add up. If 95% of downloaded music was pirated, that should have resulted in a MUCH larger drop in revenue.
I don't know the numbers, but not necessarily if overall music consumption has gone way up. My mom always says how she'd buy a couple albums a year growing up, and that's all the music she'd listen to. I can't imagine living like that. Despite the damages, one element of piracy that could end up being beneficial in the long run is that people are listening to a lot more music, and music they would have never heard otherwise. French pop, for example .

Don't get me wrong, piracy definitely is eating into profits, but I think sometimes statistics are used to exaggerate how much. Say 10 people buy a CD in 2001 and no one pirates, while in 2009 10 people buy a CD and 90 pirate it. Now there's 90% piracy, but profits are still the same and more people have heard the music. Overall I think that's a good thing! Of course I'm over simplifying, and fewer people are buying as well, so it's not so cut and dry.