View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
I hadn't thought of that but yes, why not. Although I thought there would not be as many resources out there for the regional languages such as Corsican. And I'm not sure how widely it's spoken, often these minority languages are only spoken by the older generation. I will do some research on that.
A few years ago when we at AAm wanted to send a gift to Alizee and Greg for the birth of Maggie, we got in contact (by email) with the owner of a store in Ajaccio that sold baby clothes. Luckily, she spoke English. And even more lucky, she was good friends with Alizee. We had a message we wanted on the card, and they designed a card for us. We wrote the message in regular French, but the owner gave us the option to translate it to Corsican French, which we agreed to do. They did the translation and sent us a picture of the card. There are some subtle differences and a few not so subtle differences. It's a local dialect and you are probably right that it will eventually die off, but for now, Alizee does speak it and being that she has spent most of her life in Corsica, probably prefers it over the French that the people on the mainland use.

If I ever had the choice, I would choose to learn regular French instead. Alizee understands it and knowing the language would be useful traveling around France or any other French speaking country.