View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road
Default Pardon my French, but #!&*%@$ !!!!!!!!!!!!

My awesome aunt and uncle gave me this book yesterday for my b-day titled

MERDE!
The Real French You Were Never Taught At School

Now, the book is not solely about jurons; it also contains many slang words that are used in common French. I haven't had the time to fully read through yet, but here are a few of my favorites (of course the naughty vocabulary) I've found while skimming. *Children, look away!

Nice, Friendly - sympa (rather than "sympathique")
You bunch of - bande de
A midget - un nabot
Mannish (adj for women) - hommasse
a chick : his broad : his old lady - une gonzesse** : sa poule** : sa bergére
a male chauvinist pig - un pantouflard
a guy who likes to go pick up women (the bar scene) - un dragueur
obsessed - obsédé(e) (hmm, I wonder if there's a group of people or me I can use this on)
to sweet-talk - baratiner
lol, to dip one's wick/to get it wet - tremper son biscuit*
a "back street abortionist" - une faiseuse d'ange** (did anybody else think of Borat?)
the damage/bill - la douleureuse (the painful one)
a boozer - un picoleur*
to blow (money, mind you) - claquer

As I do not fully know the rules of these forums regarding profanity, I'll refrain from posting more traditional swear words (f', sh', etc), certain body parts/features, and such. If I get the O.K., I'll gladly add some.

I can't quite tell you whether or not this book will greatly improve your French skills enough to run out and get a copy, but I find it worth it if you want some good laughs. Plus at a base price of $10 (mine was on clearance) it won't break the bank. This book has a lot more than a list of the random words I pulled out. It is separated into chapters (The Musts, Parties, Sex Matters) which in each there is a long list of vocabulary relating to the chapter, various phrases/sentences/expressions, and even a quiz at the end!

~If this thread violates any rules or is just plain too offensive, don't hesitate to remove/close it.