View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioactiveMan View Post
At the risk of getting off topic, I have some thoughts about upgrading the site.

Losing content wouldn't have to happen. Drupal software development is my job and migrating content from the current system to it is certainly possible. No comment on the amount of effort though; it wouldn't be small. I'm not sure if that makes a ton of sense though; if you make an equivalent feature in Drupal for each current feature so the old content can be moved to the new site, have you just built an awkward vBulletin 3.8 clone instead of the shiny new thing you actually wanted?

One attractive thing to me about having a Drupal site is that it's so much easier to keep up to date. I've seen vBulletin's update process and it's absolutely revolting. Drupal actually does really well here, especially since Drupal 8, and it would make it easier to keep current.

I'm turned off by the idea of removing the chatbox. To me, it's a critical part of the site. But that was eight years ago, so maybe it's not that critical anymore.

This option is appealing because updating vBulletin is a horrible chore that should be reserved for punishing violent criminals. Someone else doing that job is a pretty good deal.

Has a worst-case scenario been discussed? If we really can't contact Ben to renew or take over this domain and server, should we make alizeecanada.com this month so there's a way to continue, even if we lose the existing content?
Radioactiveman!!!!.....How's life in Canada?