View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Great analysis doc, I like your point not comparing absolute GDP value. But I can't agree that Corsica is a very poor region. Yes, it's the poorest region of mainland France, but when we look on Eurostat 2007 raport showing GDP as a percent of EU average GDP?
Corsica makes 84.5% of EU, while whole France - 108.5% of EU average, which is in absolute numbers 27000€, taking into account PPS standard. It's Île de France which rises national average so high. Just look, Picardie - 85.7, Lorraine - 88.7, Basse-Normandie - 88.3 It doesn't look so bad for Corsica.

But a closer look on Corsica, explains why it's not a rich region. 2/3 of island covered with mountains, typical mediterranean climate, a lot of nature reserves. Great place to relax and spend holidays

And inequalities are very visible in Europe, even within borders of one country. As I'm visiting Germany from time to time, I know something about that. Difference between West and East Germany is still visible, I know that Germans pumped about 2 trillions(ahh your short scale, but you feel it when you travel between those 2 parts of Germany. People are different, 50 years of communism make the diiference.

Sometimes I think that docdtv is my 40 years older twin brother I find interest in Economy, Engineering, Science, Languages and History; he also, he just knows everything, he can make a very deep historical, economical, linguistics analysis etc. Only difference is a language in which we can express ourselves best, for him it's English, for me (still) Polish. You are great Doc

Last edited by Criss_pl; 05-03-2010 at 10:42 AM..