View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I *am* okey dokey

YesterdaysAirRace is on a distinguished road
Default A new convert's statement of faith

Speaking as a newly converted member of the apparent Cult, I can say with some outsider perspective that at this point, I don't care if she never records another note or performs another concert, ever, anywhere, if that's what it takes to be true to herself. I was attracted initially by the quality of the music and production, which I quickly suspected (then confirmed) was not her doing. But I started getting sucked in because I saw her concert dvd, and realized that she couldn't possibly be completely pre-fab, to give that kind of performance--that whatever the coaching she received, she had, uh, just to say it, a je ne sais quoi that would probably shine thru even if she was standing in front of the bus station singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" into a Mr. Microphone accompanied by a cheap Casio keyboard.

Even then, though, I didn't become a full-blown junkie until I started reading more about her, and realized that unlike the endless stream of fungible pop-tarts emanating from Hollyweird, she hasn't been in and out of rehab, jail, or family court. Maybe it's just that the French entertainment industry is more low-key; but I suspect (as I'm sure many here do too) that it's more indicative of a strength of character--and that is probably that spark that shines thru when she's performing.

No, I don't know that if my introduction to Alizee was thru a low-fi concert clip from Moscow of her singing 99 Luftballons, that I'd have paid this much attention--keeping in mind that it was the music that hooked me at first. But I'm happy she's moved on, even if it means that (for now) she's moved down, too. The more I learn about Mylene Farmer, the more I'm glad she's no longer under her care (what should I think about someone whose recent single was some post-feminist rant called "Eff Them All?") Does anyone really think that she would have had Alizee doing the same stuff she did when she was 18? Now that she's not suitable for playing a Lolita anymore, who knows what Farmer's next "image" would have been: an angry, disaffected twenty-nothing, channeling Alanis Morissette (another former teen idol)? Or maybe a buzz-cut francophone version of Wendy O Williams, blowing up cars? Thankfully we'll never have to find out.

So I consider anything Alizee's now doing--or not doing--a bonus, especially since it's from her this time. Maybe she's bitten off more than she can chew. Fine. That's part of growing up, and as others have said, the only hope for her to actually become something great herself is to take these risks and possibly make mistakes.

No, I don't presume to speak for anyone else--many of you, it seems, have been wandering in the desert for a long time, and are understandably upset since you caught sight of the promised land, only to have it disappear again. (I'm sure this is especially true for those of you out hard earned cash.) It's just my perspective as someone who has never experienced this kind of "overnight fascination" with a celebrity before--especially a pop singer--but is somehow very glad he now has

In any case, unless I suddenly learn she's a cat-beating heroine-addicted arms-smuggler, I'm probably going to remain an admirer of hers for life, and am thankful for what I do have from her, even if it will always leave me wanting more.