View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizeefan View Post
The only way it would ever cost her a penny to put out music is if she was doing so in her garage , producing the music herself with no corporate sponsorship . . . How you can think she pays for producing these or any costs therein when they are clearly by a major label is beyond my comprehension ? I'll guarantee you she is signed to a contract , paid up front for the new album , sales don't matter to her besides the fact that she is probably contracted to get residuals if sales reach certain numbers - meaning she gets more if sales are good .
I suggest you research how recording contracts work, because your discription of the situation is off the mark. Usually the artist is given some sort of advance payment (which isn't usually that great of an amount). Remember, Alizée has not been a big seller for many years, so it is unlikely they would give her a big advance. The artist generally has to pay back most of the record company's expenses out his or her percentage. This is called recoupment. If the artist doesn't make enough sales, they end up in debt to the record company. The artist usually also pays half of the expense of any videos made. And keep in mind there are lawyers and managers who also need to be paid by the artist. Nowadays, an artist has to sell quite a lot just to break even.

So I would not conclude that Alizée doesn't have to worry about sales. Artists like her do not get paid in full up front. She may have plenty of money in the bank, but I doubt she is going through all this trouble putting out an album, only to walk away with nothing. Or even worse, a debt.