View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 09:04 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Is PSG already “too good” when Messi and most of all Neymar ​have lost their splendor at least momentarily at the beginning of the season...?!
I don't think PSG were or remain 'too good', as apparently their performances have not been fully convincing so far.

A lot of people suspected PSG would struggle with balance having 3 big names in attack (Messi, Neymar, Mbappe) that are all individually brilliant but won't contribute heaps in terms of pressing or work rate when defending. From what I've heard people say about the team so far that seems to have been the case.
I watched a video about why Messi in particular is struggling, and apparently he's simply been pushed too far out wide on the wing to be close enough to goal. If he were to be given a more free role at striker he'd probably be putting up much better numbers, but then you still have problems aligning the rest of the attack.

Reminds me a bit of some problems Arsenal have faced in recent years (which I can speak more authoritatively on being an Arsenal fan). In 2019 we signed Pepe form Lille for a big fee, and the idea was to have a front 3 of Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe (all bought in on big fees).
However, the balance was very much off. Aubameyang would be played on the left but wants to cut inside onto his right foot, Pepe plays on the right and wants to cut inside onto his left foot, and Lacazette is already in that central space as well as a more pure number 9. The middle of the pitch was too crowded and the full backs were relied upon too much to provide width and crosses into the box.
Luckily the likes of Saka and Smith Rowe have broken through who are more versatile players and provide some balance to the attack, most of the time now we only have 1 or 2 of Aubameyang/Lacazette/Pepe on the pitch.

Anyway, that turned into an Arsenal ramble. For PSG, I think there are 4-5 teams more well equipped this season to win the Champions League, but they still have some time to figure things out before the knockouts.