View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Murder of politicians and bombings. Corsica is the murder capital of Europe. The nationalists want convicts held in mainland prisons moved to Corsica. How much of this political unrest is driven by gangsters? One-third of jobs come from the French central government. That doesn't make independence sound like a good idea. Is the move for independence a push by the gangsters to win autonomy from law and order? Would independence mean government by the gangsters? What are the real issues driving the desire to bare outsiders from establishing homes on the island? That doesn't sound like a good economic move. The more insular a community is, the more open it is to criminal activity. None of this makes me feel comfortable about the political situation in Corsica. Greater recognition for the Corsican language, what does that mean? Putting legal documents in an esoteric language could make it easier for scam artists to do their thing. Raising children to speak a language isolated on one island doesn't sound like a good idea. French is a universal language bested only by English. If Corsicans want to teach their children their tribal language that's fine, but those kids should also be fluent in an international language especially considering the driving force of the island's economy is tourism.
Your points are well taken, and the questions are very good.

I don't believe for a second this nationalist movement is for the benefit of Corsicans, but rather for a small group that wants power. "Recognition of the Corsican language" is just bait to lure in supporters, in my opinion. I'm just getting old and cynical I guess - there always seems to be a power and money motive behind everything political.

Look at all the liberation movements that occurred south of our border in Central America for the last 40 years or so. The standing government is overthrown, and the people suffered for years afterward. Central America is still one of the most dangerous areas of the world. France brought advanced civilization along with law and order to Corsica, and I wouldn't think the majority want to return to banana republic status.