Thread: French movies
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

oh my lawdy!

whatever you do, don't watch English movies with French subtitles, as teachers like to do. It doesn't do dick.

French cinema is very interesting and different from the summer action flicks we're used to. They're artsy. What I've noticed, in French movies it seems more preferable to have a somewhat slow story but strong characters rather than explosions and flying cars, you can easily go 45 minutes without any dialogue, the endings aren't really the "good guy saves the day" type of predictable endings- they're more realistic (according to the story), nudity isn't treated as a way to intrigue male viewers- it's art, and finally and more importantly it seems like most French movies were made for the pure purpose of creating the film as a work of art rather than trying to be the next box-office hit
Here are all the French movies I've seen, and I've generally enjoyed all of them
(I do not have an affinity for Audrey Tautou. It's just really easy to look her up on netflix, and just go down the list of instant play movies she's been in)
- Hors de Prix (I think my favorite French movie)
- Happenstance
- Un long dimanche des fiançailles
- Amélie
- L'iceberg (I think there's only like 14 lines in the whole movie... you can afford to skip this one)
- Baby Blues
- L'auberge Espagnole
- Les Poupées Russes (also ^ one of my favorite movies)
- Coco Avant Chanel
- He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
- Molière
- La Vie Promise
- Delicatessen (another one of those 'weird' movies that smart people like to pretend to completely understand)
- La Vie en Rose
- Le placard (not necessarily my favorite, but I'd snuggle up to watch it with a bottle of Martinelli's any day)
- Au Revoir, Les Enfants

those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head

- NO SUBTITLES
- WATCH OVER AND OVER
- PUT ON IN THE BACKGROUND AND LISTEN TO IT WHILE MULTITASKING
- repeat until fluency