View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Zéeologist

Antares is on a distinguished road

While I am as excited as anyone else to see Alizée pop up somewhere outside of our secluded bubble, I am going to address the content of the video as well because I find it relevant to our fandom.

It's funny because I was just pondering this issue myself the other day. Lately there has been a war waged against beauty in our society. We are told that admiring beauty in women is tantamount to misogynistic objectification, while the same individuals who push this agenda celebrate the freedom of their own sexuality and condemn anyone else who tries to suppress it. Ignoring the obvious hypocrisy present here, there is a larger problem at work. The "everyone is a winner" mindset that I unfortunately grew up surrounded by has now given way to the "everyone is beautiful (except beautiful people because that's sexist)" worldview. While I strongly agree that nobody should be made to feel bad about their physical appearance, and that everyone should learn to be comfortable with the bodies they were born in, it is a matter of extreme foolishness to suggest that everything is equal in regards to beauty and to believe that there is something wrong with admiring the beauty of those who have been blessed with it.

Beauty is amongst the most fundamental of perceptual experiences through which humans gain satisfaction and emotional well-being. Beauty can be found in a landscape, in a phenomenon of weather, in a painting or a sculpture, a song, a dance, in any work of art or even a machine. Of course, beauty can also be found in a man or a woman, whether it be through physical appearance or the substance of their soul. Anyone who denies the importance of beauty in our lives is in turn denying their own biology. There is nothing wrong with admiring beauty, and I might say instead that there is everything right with it. But there are those who seek to demonize appreciating beauty, and automatically disregard it as a vulgar indulgence that one should feel ashamed about (except of course when it concerns themselves). I cannot stress enough how much I disagree with these people.

Like many here, I believe that Alizée is physically an incredibly beautiful woman. That belief does nothing to diminish the legitimacy of my support as a fan towards her, no more than admiring the beauty of her music, her dancing, or her personality would. The truth is that she is a beautiful person in so many ways, which is what makes her stand out so clearly to me amongst others.

Alright, that's enough philosophical rambling for one day. Here's a beautiful picture of Alizée that you're not allowed to feel guilty about enjoying.