View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 PM

CWatkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_luv_alizee View Post
I figure since I already mentioned it in this thread, I'd put an update in here. In a message above, I was inquiring about Rosetta Stone. Anyway, a few days ago I decided to get French Level 1. It's a Christmas gift, so I won't actually get it until then. But I did make the order myself. Anyway I'm excited and even a little nervous. I'm not entirely new to French as I took two years back in High School. But that was a long time ago and so I'm sure it will be difficult re-learning it. But I really want to do this. And yes, my discovering Alizée has something to do with this. But I've wanted to learn another language for a while and it just seemed to be the right time to do it.
I took two semesters of French when I was in high school and then stopped because the classes were getting more and more spoken as opposed to reading and writing. That's the way it should be but for someone who's hearing impaired, it wasn't exactly ideal and the classes weren't required so I dropped it. However, I picked it up again back in July and even though I forgot 99% of what I learned in high school, I re-learned the rules that I had forgotten very quickly. The vocabulary, however, is a different story and I'm working on that. When I got to new concepts that I never covered such as past tenses, it took a lot longer to learn the new concepts as opposed to re-learning the other concepts. The only drawback to my method is that I haven't worked on my pronounciation because I can't just hear the sounds from CDs, I have to have someone show me how to make it face to face. In other words, I'm going to sticking to writing messages if I ever go to France.