View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Red face Nous? Difficile à croire? Non!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Wait, what?! They don't believe we're really American? (Well OK...in my case, they're actually correct, but...)

How utterly bizarre! What possible motive would we have for lying? Especially since so many of us are including the site's name and/or url in our messages... like, hi! We're pretty obviously a real thing, here...!

Weird!
Yeah, Ruro, I know, it's totally weird. But it seems a LOT more French people know English than the other way around. So while we've been trying to keep our language simple and our messages short, that's been working against us. (Some have even suggested that our American postings could've been written by a French second grader! Oww!!)

Who'd have predicted that? To make matters worse, the French are, by nature, a lot more guarded, skeptical, and suspicious of foreigners than we are*. (They were invaded a couple times last siècle, y'know.) And they also find it very hard to believe that their "homegrown" talent could actually be making waves all around the world.

I look at it this way - Before Bob Marley, who would have ever believed that the whole world would go nuts over Jamaican music? Yes, I am suggesting Lilly could be France's Bob. Better hair, though.

Oh yeah, back on track -
Hey, the game is still on! You can still post your comments of support in France! Just click either of the links on my sig! Or Both! Only now, DON'T try to keep it short or simple. Use your best, newest, sickest slang until they don't know which side is up.

* If it sounds like I'm spouting prejudices out my a$$ here, well my neighbor's from France, his wife's from Wisc., and our kids go to school together and play together. And he's been helping me with my French, too! But I'm not quoting from his take on the French -- rather, hers.