View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
I was reading a discussion over languages on some other forum and one poster pointed out that Italian is considered as one of the most beautiful language. Why?

I have noticed same with some other languages. Urdu and Telugu are considered more melodic and beautiful than other languages in this part of the world.

German is probably considered anti-beautiful? Germans (read Jenny) please don't kill me for this.

So, what's the reason behind adoring a language more than other? Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?
An anecdote sometimes attributed to King Charles is: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse." (noted in Wikipedia)

I think of English as not a very beautiful language. I would love to see Sanskrit become the universal language, but alas, it is not to be.

Spanish, Italian and French are often referred to as romance languages. I am guessing that this is due to the easy flow of pronunciation as well as the ability of these languages to convey emotionality and nuance well.