View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
yah. And can someone explain to me how singles work?

Do they come out before the album? Like Les Collines?

Do they come out during the album too? Like what we are discussing now?

Do they come out seperately from the album?

Because I know that MCE had like 4 singles and I was wondering what the point is if they all come out on the album first and re-release as a single...
Hmm bear with me here and somebody let me know if I'm talking complete nonsense.
What I understand is that an artist usually releases one single as a lead single before the album is put on sale. This acts as a sort of 'taster' so that people can get a flavour for the style of the album and if they like what they hear, then buy the album when it is released a month or so later.
Once the album is released, depending on it's early success, several more singles are released. These are popular songs on the album that are sold as a means of promoting the album it is from, which is on sale simultaneously.
As far as I know, it's not common practise to release singles without an album of similar songs for them to promote.
The point of a single is so that someone pays a small amount of money for one song, listens to it, and if they like it they may decide to buy the album it is from, which contains songs of a similar genre and style.
Make sense? (I hope!! )