View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Good job, Cooney. I do want to suggest something about the passage in J'en Ai Marre where she sings:

Tout est délice
Délit docile

which you rendered as:

Everything is delightful
Manageable problems

The first line is a reasonable translation, although délice is a noun not an adjective and so a more literal meaning would be "delight" or perhaps "pleasure" -- so "everything is pleasure," which I think is in better keeping with the feel of the song, although that's a quibble.

On the second line, though, "délit" doesn't quite mean "problem." It means a minor crime, an offense. So "délit docile" is, literally, "manageable little crime(s)." Who's committing the offense(s) isn't stated, so it's occurred to me it might be the singer: "Everything is pleasure [because of my] manageable little offense."

Really good catch about the fish! Can anyone else see that? I'm not sure I can.

Edit: OK, I just watched several JEAM performances full-screen from the vids on this site (that's what you call highly enjoyable research) and I don't think I agree with you that she's singing "bouge" instead of "rouge." It's a little tricky to hear the difference between those two consonants, but if you watch her mouth, it's clearly slightly opened at the start of the word, not closed the way it would be to say "b." Granted, she's lip-synching not actually singing, but I'm assuming she's synching correctly.

Last edited by Deepwaters; 04-02-2007 at 09:52 PM..