View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
Not really much difference in sound. Except è ís softer than é.
That's not true.
é is much closer to an english long A sound. However, the american english long A is actually a diphthong that starts at short e and ends at long E. é is the pure vowel between these two endpoints.

è is the pure vowel that is identical to the english short e.

PS I really wish I could type in the international phonetic alphabet here. Then I could be exact with which sounds I'm talking about.
Edit: This will have to do (the vowel chart from teh international phonetic alphabet)...

é is the non-rounded, close mid, front vowel (looks like 'e')

è is the non-rounded, open mid, front vowel (looks like epsilon, or backwards 3 if you don't know greek)

american english long A is a vowel sound that starts at non-rounded, open mid, front (epsilon on chart), and 'slides' while being pronounced to non-rounded, close (or near close), front (looks like 'i' on chart but in casual pronunciation usually doesn't make it 100% to that end point. So that's why it's close to é ('e' on chart), the long A in american english slides right through its territory). Other dialects of english preserve the pure vowel that is identical to the french é, but not so much with standard american english.

Last edited by CFHollister; 04-15-2010 at 07:01 PM..