Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-25-2024, 01:09 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road
Default Old General Joeseph Wheeler

Now in the Cuban Difficulties; the Feds wanted to send the troops through the south to embark for Cuba ! But they thought that the south didn't want Yankee troops going through there again. So they asked Wheeler; who had got re-elected to the US Congress, to give speeches saying the troops were just in transit. Wheeler was an Old Lieutenant General of Cavalry in the Confederate army; so Wheeler told them I will only do it if you make me in charge of the Cavalry as a Brevet Major General ! So they agreed. But Wheeler had them over the Barrel, and so he said I want to keep my seat in Congress at the same time; which is highly irregular ! So they let Wheeler have his way !
So when the army landed; Wheeler led the Cavalry off first and the Commander told him don't bring on any engagements, yet till we get the rest of the army off the transports ! But Wheeler took off with the Cavalry and so they ended up at the foot of SanJuan Hill !
There "Black Jack" Pershing was in charge of the 10th US colored Cavalry from units from the west which had been fighting Indians (temporarily dismounted ) and Teddy Roosevelt in charge of the "Rough Riders" who were all mostly Cowboys from the West ( Temporarily dismounted ) !
But the Snipers from the enemy positions were knocking them off; so the Officers sent back to Wheeler; we will have to withdraw or attack !
So old Wheeler; slipped a war, and sent back Charge the (blank) Yankees ! Pershing told Roosevelt, I guess that means we can Attack ! And so both Regiments started up the San Juan Hills under Fire !
The 10th Regiment got pinned down in front of machine guns from a blockhouse, but the Rough riders took their hills ! A couple batteries of Gatling Guns were rolled up the hills and they stopped any enemy counter-attacks ! But Roosevelt saw the 10th was in trouble ; so he organized a Flank attack against the Block House , which succeeded ! And so the San Juan Hills were taken !
Now Teddy was a Politician, so he had the Rough Riders and himself standing around the Block House, as if they had done it all for a Newspaper Photo, and so Teddy made political hay out of all of it !
Much later Teddy Roosevelt ended up President; and Pershing ended up commander of the US Army Forces in France in world war I !

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 09-25-2024 at 01:31 PM..