Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road
Default Something very close to my heart.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HFixUdgLStE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is such a sad and inspiring set of videos and I recommend to anyone who is interested in aviation history to watch the whole sequence (videos 1-5). As you many know, we as a nation and as a planet have been without a supersonic transport for nearly 10 years; a fact that is just disgusting and should not be. A technology available since the 1960s is something we no longer have so it is like we fell back instead of moved forward. What disgusts me even further is the lack of leadership in a particular American company to revamp and restart this technology even though it is mostly Airbus's fault! This said company did a study on developing a new supersonic transport back in the 1990s but just gave up on it do to same old it's not economically feasible claim; the same claim that killed America's supersonic bird back in the 60's. That claim is BS in my opinion, the real issue is they lack the initiative and funding that comes with innovation. If the Concorde was profitable in its lifespan, which it was, then a newer bird can do the same and better! The company I am talking about I cannot mention since I am in the process of getting an internship with them. It is my dream as a 21st century aerospace engineer to see a new supersonic or hypersonic transport and hopefully be apart of this project. I am sure if the Concorde was still flying today that it could be made profitable but people gave up on it too easily! Times were hard after 9/11 and people falsely questioned the aerospace industry as a whole and that is mostly why the Concorde got the axe. Upon saying that, I am also sure a new supersonic transport developed with current technology could be made profitable especially with new developments in composite materials and bio-fuels! Why nothing has come from this, I do not know. Japan is working on a study that "partly" involves NASA but not much is really known about the project "NEXST." What bothers me the most is America, who is a leader in this industry, is not taking the initiative and leading in the development. We have the most advanced wind tunnels and aerodynamic data/knowledge in this nation thanks to all the studies done by NASA and its predecessor NACA through the 20th century; even the worlds fastest hypersonic wind tunnel is here in the US ... it is operated by my school "in a secrete location" here in Buffalo! But yet despite this we continue to take a back seat role; why I do not understand!
Long live the best thing to ever role out of England and France!
Vive Concorde!

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

I watched Concorde come into Belfast airport many years ago. I took a lot of photos at the time. I'll have a look and see if i can find them.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
I watched Concorde come into Belfast airport many years ago. I took a lot of photos at the time. I'll have a look and see if i can find them.
That would be greatly appreciated; thanks.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

This is from back in November '10 when I visited the "National Air And Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center." It's so big you can't take a picture of it whole from where I was standing!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
This is from back in November '10 when I visited the "National Air And Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center." It's so big you can't take a picture of it whole from where I was standing!

Great pictures Fall! I really like the top one since it is a view you often don't see much ... well often didn't see much when she was in service. That is her with her nose and shield up which is normally only done up in the air right before she is about to reach Mach 1. On the ground/(during landings and take offs) to increase runway visibility.

But great pics Fall, thanks for sharing!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Wow....great pics Fall...thanks for sharing!