Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road
Default Martial Arts

Do we have any martial arts practitioners in the audience?

Personally I view martial arts not only as just some fancy way or efficient method of "kicking ass", but rather a form f self-discipline, finding of inner and outer potential and peace, fitness, and of course, the pushing and training of mortal capacity to limits unimaginable.

Thus saying I believe anything that promotes it, is a martial art, whether it be yoga, or even parkour, and not only the fighting methods that are heavily immortalized in films and popular culture.

I've taken quite a bit of martial arts in my life, i've, abandoned quite a bit somewhat due to some different loyalties that obstructed me, but recently i've found that path once more and am quite contempt with entering that world again.
Being that said, my list goes down to:

-Parkour (only slightly experienced)
-Northern Monkey Style Kung Fu (In which I am most adept in)
-Kyokushin Karate (recently started)
-Baguazhang (Eight Trigrams Palm)
-Muay Thai

And currently, after much begging to one of my teachers he will place me through a program to learn Zui Quan. Which some of you may know as "The Way of the Drunk Fist".

Pay heed that these "arts" are in true form, not as perfectly choreographed in movies that you all know, in reality, not everyone is going to approach you and fight you and magically be skilled, the arts in modern time are a way to build yourself, and I shamefully look down upon anyone who sees the arts as a way to "kick asses". In fact, if one were to use any art against anyone unskilled, there won't be much of a show, it would be a very simple knockout, so if any are encouraged to enroll in learning a martial art, pay heed there is very little chance you will use the actual fighting end of the method anywhere else outside of where you train.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

representin' taekwondo!!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Before i got sick i had a purple belt in Jiu-Jitsu. Also trained for and qualified as an Instructor. Done some teaching with the Army and the Police.
Used to really love it and miss it a lot.
Made a lot of friends and was as fit as i've ever been.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

I know Boxing and Go Ju Karate

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 AM

barrett, you have a very good point.

all the martial art fights in cinema are quite glorified and heavily scripted. real fights are nowhere near as impressive, and don't ever last that long.

though im not a regular fighter.. when i do, it's quite short.

im into kicking, so a swift front kick to the groin, followed by an axe kick to the back of the head as the attacker bends over.. good stuff. quick, easy, gets the job done.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Traceur

Fyrel is on a distinguished road

I have formal teaching in Krav Maga (which is taught with a small amount of Eskrima at my place) and Aikido, but I have studied Muay Thai, boxing and some BJJ on my own. And am an enthusiastic traceur of one year if you want to count parkour.

Movie fighting is almost a separate thing entirely. I was training with my brother today, and we decided to dick around near the end and choreograph a fight sequence for fun (I'm also an aspiring stuntman, so I love that stuff). To make the fight visually interesting, you actually need to pause after each block to maintain a coherent visual sequence; if you throw a punch like you would in a fight it becomes very confusing.

Speaking of which, does anybody have tips on breaking a fall with your back without hurting yourself or knocking the wind out (straight back with no rotation to land on the hip)? Something like 2:28 of this video.

Être et durer.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
barrett, you have a very good point.

all the martial art fights in cinema are quite glorified and heavily scripted. real fights are nowhere near as impressive, and don't ever last that long.

though im not a regular fighter.. when i do, it's quite short.

im into kicking, so a swift front kick to the groin, followed by an axe kick to the back of the head as the attacker bends over.. good stuff. quick, easy, gets the job done.
You should be careful facing against a wing chun practitioner, they can get into your close range area quite effectively and disable any chance at a full force kick. Best you could do is do a jab kick as Muay Boran practitoners do to make sure they stay away from your core as they are renowned for.

So far i'm really loving the effectiveness of combining muay thai and wing chun, as they contrast in nearly everything except efficiency and aggression.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
n

Karlalizee is on a distinguished road

i do zen yoga. the photographer took this one of me during a break.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

I like Martial arts , but i'm more of a fan of classic street fighting. Pick up anything in sight and pound the enemy into submission a la Kimbo Slice.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
You should be careful facing against a wing chun practitioner, they can get into your close range area quite effectively and disable any chance at a full force kick. Best you could do is do a jab kick as Muay Boran practitoners do to make sure they stay away from your core as they are renowned for.

So far i'm really loving the effectiveness of combining muay thai and wing chun, as they contrast in nearly everything except efficiency and aggression.
yea, i've noticed that about mauy thai fighters.. the kicks they use dont' seems to be a "knock out" move, and they rarely go above the waist. as many people know, taekwondo is known for its kicks, and most of its, in my opinion, best fighting techniques are kicks to the groin, knees, and head.

i doubt that anyone can take a back spin kick to the head standing. not only do you get the force from the kick itself, but also from your body weight and momentum from the spin. the only downside, it takes a bit longer to do, and can be dodged if youre good.

and when i talk of fighting, i dont' mean like, you know, my friend doesnt like Alizee so im gonna kick his ass!! no i mean like.. if i get into a real life threatening situation. groin kicks are cheap, but if my life or someone's that i care about is at stake, the gloves are off and anything goes.