Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

It's more about time than money anyway. I have a decent collection, but don't go too far because I'm very OCD, and if I really started I wouldn't want to stop until I had everything. For example, I don't have a picture to share right now because most of my stuff is in storage, and I'd be loathed to risk dust and damage by displaying it.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, time is big factor in collecting, but you can avoid that by waiting as long as it necessary. In my case it's money that's bigger problem. Every time I buy something "expensive" (over 50 euros) Lili stuff, I will have to sacrifice something else in my life. But since it makes me happy, why wouldn't I do it.

And there's ways to protect from dust.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:11 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

i'm pretty much a newbie, but here's my collection, which is only 3 of her CDs which i ordered from tower records. the next thing i want is the NTSC version of en concert DVD, but i think that's only sold in mexico for now, so i'll have to wait.

sorry for the bad quality, it's a crappy camera phone.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Century Child

So I'm starting to see some other artists creep into these pictures, Jenifer, etc. And it made me wonder where I would draw the line for my Alizée collection. Only items directly related to her? Or maybe close artists like Jen, Jérémy, and Mylène? How about people connected to them, like Jonathan Cerrada and Nathalie Cardone? If I just went ahead and included all my French stuff, it would be quite huge. But I don't really think of that as a "collection". It's just the CDs I listen to and the DVDs I watch, along with a few other items I've picked up along the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyamigo View Post
the next thing i want is the NTSC version of en concert DVD[/IMG]
The NTSC disc (which yes is only from Mexico) has terrible quality compared to the PAL. Non-anamorphic, DVD5 instead of 9 (which means it contains half as much data), etc. Honestly, stick with the PAL and either watch it on your computer or buy a player for $50 that can convert it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
but you can avoid that by waiting as long as it necessary.
You're still waiting and checking for that time then, though. And after whatever research needed to be done. Dunno, whenever I see an impressive collection I'm always struck more by the time and effort it must have taken rather than how much it must have cost.

Quote:
And there's ways to protect from dust.
And other handling damage. I meant for getting it all out to photograph. Can't really setup a permanent safe display (nor have the desire too), cause I've moved a dozen times in the last five years, with hopefully more on the way.

Last edited by Ben; 05-26-2007 at 08:09 AM..
Old 05-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
sorry for the bad quality, it's a crappy camera phone.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6749/mycdsvk9.jpg
Is that Glenfiddich 12 or 15 yo ? Or even older ?

What the one in the middle? Glensomthing ? Hows it like ?

The one on the left is Ballantine's Finest, blended one, or something else ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
You're still waiting and checking for that time then, though. And after whatever research needed to be done. Dunno, whenever I see an impressive collection I'm always struck more by the time and effort it must have taken rather than how much it must have cost.
Yes, of course. Of course the most important thing in these collections is what they represents to the owner. And how much time and effort they have put into it. What do the items mean to him/her ? That's why I also rather buy from another collector than anywhere else. Because they knows the real value of the item, not just what it is worth in money (the usually that's the thing they don't really know... since you can often get cheaper from those resellers on the net).

I don't really care how big the collection is or how valuable it is in real money. To me it matters only what it means to the collector. With more money, my collection would be bigger, too, but even with less money, I'd have big collection. I have collected years so even with little available money I have been able to make the collection grow. And it will keep doing it in the future, too. Little by little.

But still, money does matter, since without it, it's hard to get anything. Trading works, but only if you have something to trade for. If you can't just show CC to get it, you need to start thinking what's it worth to you. Is it worth more than the other thing you might have wanted for years and almost got money to get it. Is it worth more than the laptop you have wanted ? Is it worth more than the camera you have dreamed for years ? Is it worth more than next weeks food ? On the other words, how much are you willing to sacrifice for your passion...

But then again, there is items you can't get even with money... money can't buy everything. But it does help to have some...

Quote:
And other handling damage. I meant for getting it all out to photograph. Can't really setup a permanent safe display (nor have the desire too), cause I've moved a dozen times in the last five years, with hopefully more on the way.
Yeah, of course there's always chance for damage. But with care handling, you should be ok. Indeed, it's not easy to put everything on display, even just for one photograph. It took me couple hours to arrange those. Most of them aren't always visible anywhere, since I don't have room and place for them. I keep only small collection visible in my room, which I change every now and then (except few items of course which are there to stay).

By keeping them on display, there's always risk to damage something. But then again, it's the thing that makes at least me happy. Nothing makes day starting better than seeing your ACC collection when you open your eyes. Or maybe if you dare to even hold one of those...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
So I'm starting to see some other artists creep into these pictures, Jenifer, etc. And it made me wonder where I would draw the line for my Alizée collection. Only items directly related to her? Or maybe close artists like Jen, Jérémy, and Mylène? How about people connected to them, like Jonathan Cerrada and Nathalie Cardone? If I just went ahead and included all my French stuff, it would be quite huge. But I don't really think of that as a "collection". It's just the CDs I listen to and the DVDs I watch, along with a few other items I've picked up along the way...
Yup, where to draw the line... for myself, I classify as Alizée collection only items that really are in direct relation with Alizée. In my collection, the only real exception, the furthers away from Alizée, is Jérémy's Sir Sid cap which I keep next to Alizée's cap.

Ok, few Tinkerbelles are on the edge, too. But I still think they are part of it since they represents Lili and Lili's passion on them. But I didn't even inlcude them in the photo, except the one that was already on the table when I started to arrange the items.

But outside those, there's of course lots of other stuff that is somehow in relation. Basically I know whole French music only because of Lili, so is they all part of the collection ? Nah, I don't think so. Is Mylène's stuff part of the collection ? I don't think that either, not if it's directly related to Alizée at least. You can't really say that some of her CD would be really related to Lili, even if it's same writer done them. Is my NSP collecion related to Alizée ? I don't think so. Even tho they got the same manager (and even sang together ones ! )...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Is that Glenfiddich 12 or 15 yo ? Or even older ?

What the one in the middle? Glensomthing ? Hows it like ?

The one on the left is Ballantine's Finest, blended one, or something else ?
yea that's glenfiddich 12yr, i can't afford the older ones and the 12yr is is fine enough for me.

the middlle one is glenlivet 12yr, another fine single malt, very similar to fiddich maybe a bit more peppery.

the last one is 17yr blend, but i still prefer single malts over more expensive blends.

damn now i really want some. i don't have any at home right now.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The NTSC disc (which yes is only from Mexico) has terrible quality compared to the PAL. Non-anamorphic, DVD5 instead of 9 (which means it contains half as much data), etc. Honestly, stick with the PAL and either watch it on your computer or buy a player for $50 that can convert it.
do you think they will ever release a separate US NTSC version of the DVD? along with english subtitles and stuff. i mean, why does mexico get one and US doesn't?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Century Child

Quote:
i mean, why does mexico get one and US doesn't?
Cause Universal figured they could turn a profit there. They kept production costs low by making a sub-standard product, knowing it would sell because Alizée has become very popular in Mexico - on the sales, tv, and radio charts. So if we want something here, we've got to make the same thing happen... which I don't really think is possible. Mexico, and for that matter most other countries, are used to more foreign language music because they import all the English stuff. We're still closed to the idea. But hey, it's a worthy cause...

Last edited by Ben; 05-26-2007 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
yea that's glenfiddich 12yr, i can't afford the older ones and the 12yr is is fine enough for me.

the middlle one is glenlivet 12yr, another fine single malt, very similar to fiddich maybe a bit more peppery.

the last one is 17yr blend, but i still prefer single malts over more expensive blends.

damn now i really want some. i don't have any at home right now.
Yea, Glenfiddich is totally fine no matter how old it is. My friend got bottle of 21yo Glenfiddich. Which is real nice. And way too expensive for me (it´s roughly 160 euros a 75cl bottle whilst 12 and 15 yo ranges in 30 to 40 euros per bottle).

There´s some pretty ok blends but yea, nothing beats good single malt.

Highland Park is one of my favorites. Had 12 and 18 yo bottles of it back when I still had some whiskey.