Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation [MDO] Alizée's Career

Any thread labeled with [MDO] is meant for Mature Discussion Only. This means that while in this thread, you agree to only discuss and debate in a mature, and civil manner, even if you dont agree with the content/ideas presented.

You will remain respectful to all members, and to Alizée

No attacks on people, ideas, or opinions.

If you are unable to discuss the topic in a civil mature way, then this topic is not for you! Posts that violate this rule may be removed.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

See now how hard was that? I'll bet you a nickel that you read the first line above and read this line last. So I think it is an effective but more "cheap" way of doing the mature discussions. People read the rules at the top of the thread first so they know the stuff below may not be suitable for them. See, this wasn't that hard now was it? Let's see how it plays out...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I think her singing career is basically over. It would take such a huuuuuuge overhaul to really make her successful again and I just don't think she has the drive or desire anymore. I know her last two albums were an attempt to go outside the box and explore but there is a reason underground music is underground. Frankly, its not that hard to look at the charts and see what is popular. Take that and make something of your own out of it. I've said this before but, I think she got a bit cocky (as would most people in this situation) about her fame from MF. Unfortunately, the French are very fickle when it comes to music and her most hardcore fans really only buy her new albums because they're hers. I'm not trying to be a bitch or only point out her failures but, she has made some bad mistakes and it has cost her.

I mean no disrespect, but she needs to quit F@#%&ING up if she doesn't want to be a joke in France.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
You will remain respectful... to Alizée
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
but she needs to quit F@#%&ING up if she doesn't want to be a joke in France.
mmmhmmm

Go ahead, supermods, go for it. I don't mind.

Edit:

But then again, what do you count as being "successful"?

Being on Yahoo News everyday and being at the end of every aisle in Target?

Or doing what she enjoys doing, and having a loyal fanbase who will support her...

I know which one I would choose.

I just think she's doing what she wants and what she's comfortable with... if she wants more, she'll go for it. That's all I have to say about that.

Last edited by user472884; 02-01-2011 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
her most hardcore fans really only buy her new albums because they're hers.
This is self-evidently untrue. If it were true, UEDS would have sold better. I bought it because I liked it. So I suspect did most of the people who bought it. Most of it could be heard without spending the money, so those who heard it and didn't like it didn't buy it. Very few people, if any, bought it solely because it was hers.

Also self-evidently untrue is the idea that she is selling scarves because she needs the money, like a businessman in the Depression selling apples on the streets. She still has good royalties coming in from the three albums that sold reasonably well, and Jérémy has a solid career going as a composer. She does not need money at all.

In the end, she is the only one who can decide what the standards of success are. I have nothing but contempt for the idea that an artist has to be topping the charts constantly or should be considered a failure. That's part and parcel of the loathsome American tendency to judge a person by how much money he brings in. On the other hand, I do think that, to the extent Alizée did want to be a chart-topper, she must bear some of the blame for failing to promote her work effectively.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Honestly, I think her singing career is basically over. It would take such a huuuuuuge overhaul to really make her successful again and I just don't think she has the drive or desire anymore. I know her last two albums were an attempt to go outside the box and explore but there is a reason underground music is underground. Frankly, its not that hard to look at the charts and see what is popular. Take that and make something of your own out of it. I've said this before but, I think she got a bit cocky (as would most people in this situation) about her fame from MF. Unfortunately, the French are very fickle when it comes to music and her most hardcore fans really only buy her new albums because they're hers. I'm not trying to be a bitch or only point out her failures but, she has made some bad mistakes and it has cost her.

I mean no disrespect, but she needs to quit F@#%&ING up if she doesn't want to be a joke in France.
I am a big fan of Alizee, not only for her music but as a person. I want to see her succeed in life and be happy even if she never sings another song that I enjoy. That being said, her last 2 CDs on her own did not appeal to me, and I did not buy them like I ate up her other CDs and DVD.
I'm somewhat sad to read people blaming Alizee for the breakup with Mylene. I don't know what prompted the breakup - her marriage, pregnancy, becoming a woman with other priorities, or wanting to escape the typecast of a Lolita - but who's to say Mylene didn't initate it? Maybe Mylene thought she milked the Lolita image enough, and the next step for Alizee would mean crossing into her territory. Jealousy? I think Alizee is more popular in the huge U.S. market today than Mylene ever was or could hope to be, but unfortunately, the U.S. is 5 years late on the Alizee phenomenon. If there was ever a foreign artist who could break into the U.S. charts with a non-English song like Nena did in the 80s, I'd put all my money on Alizee. And this whole premise that Mylene was solely responsible for the Alizee phenomenon is ridiculous. Mylene can groom 100 teen girls to sing the songs she produced for Alizee, and I highly doubt they could ever reach the appeal of Alizee. Who's to say Boutonnat wasn't responsible for Alizee's early success? Alizee put Mylene Farmer on the map for me, not the other way around. Anyway, I have no animosity towards Mylene and I don't think she's evil in leaving Alizee out in the cold. Enough rambling. Let's get back to Alizee's career.

I do agree that Alizee's singing career may be over. Alizee is not a musician. All of us know that she was trained as a dancer and not as a singer, but she is so talented that she seemed a natural at singing too. But singing is only half of the equation to good music. You need someone to put the lyrics and tunes together to go with the voice. Alizee doesn't have the background or experience in that part, and that is why her music career is floundering. I love Alizee's voice. It is very unique. If Alizee put together a CD of just cover songs of popular songs, I would buy it. I love her cover songs of Ella, Elle L'a, Il Jouait Du Piano Debout, and La Isla Bonita just as much or more than the Mylene/Boutonnat composed songs. So if Alizee can't find a good composer for her next album, I suggest she just buy the rights to some old classics and make a cover song album. I would buy it.

Another avenue that I wish Alizee would pursue is acting. I always thought she would make the perfect James Bond girl. Now that she is "legal" for us to ogle her as Bond's love interest, why not?!! Acting is not difficult especially with someone as talented as Alizee. She would be a natural. She already has the beauty and celebrity status, and that helps a long way. I would pay to see any movie that Alizee appears in. Well, maybe not a horror movie, unless Alizee is doing the killing.

So there are my 2 directions for Alizee's professional future. I hope Mylene left Alizee with some money from her first 2 albums and extensive tour. From reading items on the internet, it seemed Mylene was running a child slave labor camp with Alizee. Alizee does have a protective mom and dad, so I doubt that happened.

Last edited by JoeNY; 02-03-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
I am a big fan of Alizee, not only for her music but as a person. I want to see her succeed in life and be happy even if she never sings another song that I enjoy. That being said, her last 2 CDs on her own did not appeal to me, and I did not buy them like I ate up her other CDs and DVD.
I'm somewhat sad to read people blaming Alizee for the breakup with Mylene. I don't know what prompted the breakup - her marriage, pregnancy, becoming a woman with other priorities, or wanting to escape the typecast of a Lolita - but who's to say Mylene didn't initate it? Maybe Mylene thought she milked the Lolita image enough, and the next step for Alizee would mean crossing into her territory. Jealousy? I think Alizee is more popular in the huge U.S. market today than Mylene ever was or could hope to be, but unfortunately, the U.S. is 5 years late on the Alizee phenomenon. If there was ever a foreign artist who could break into the U.S. charts with a non-English song like Nena did in the 80s, I'd put all my money on Alizee. And this whole premise that Mylene was solely responsible for the Alizee phenomenon is ridiculous. Mylene can groom 100 teen girls to sing the songs she produced for Alizee, and I highly doubt they could ever reach the appeal of Alizee. Who's to say Boutonnat wasn't responsible for Alizee's early success? Alizee put Mylene Farmer on the map for me, not the other way around. Anyway, I have no animosity towards Mylene and I don't think she's evil in leaving Alizee out in the cold. Enough rambling. Let's get back to Alizee's career.

I do agree that Alizee's singing career may be over. Alizee is not a musician. All of us know that she was trained as a dancer and not as a singer, but she is so talented that she seemed a natural at singing too. But singing is only half of the equation to good music. You need someone to put the lyrics and tunes together to go with the voice. Alizee doesn't have the background or experience in that part, and that is why her music career is floundering. I love Alizee's voice. It is very unique. If Alizee put together a CD of just cover songs of popular songs, I would buy it. I love her cover songs of Ella, Elle L'a, Il Jouait Du Piano Debout, and La Isla Bonita just as much or more than the Mylene/Boutonnat composed songs. So if Alizee can't find a good composer for her next album, I suggest she just buy the rights to some old classics and make a cover song album. I would buy it.

Another avenue that I wish Alizee would pursue is acting. I always thought she would make the perfect James Bond girl. Now that she is "legal" for us to ogle her as Bond's love interest, why not?!! Acting is not difficult especially with someone as talented as Alizee. She would be a natural. She already has the beauty and celebrity status, and that helps a long way. I would pay to see any movie that Alizee appears in. Well, maybe not a horror movie, unless Alizee is doing the killing.

So there are my 2 directions for Alizee's professional future. I hope Mylene left Alizee with some money from her first 2 albums and extensive tour. From reading items on the internet, it seemed Mylene was running a child slave labor camp with Alizee. Alizee does have a protective mom and dad, so I doubt that happened.
Nice first post. Welcome to AAm, JoeNY!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but who's to say Mylene didn't initate it?
I think Alizée said. Sorry I don't have a source to give—that's only what I've heard from people here. It's just sort of common knowledge. Maybe someone can dig up an interview or a statement from Alizée.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
I think Alizée said. Sorry I don't have a source to give—that's only what I've heard from people here. It's just sort of common knowledge. Maybe someone can dig up an interview or a statement from Alizée.
I also got the impression from interviews that Alizee walked away from Mylene, but that doesn't make Alizee a bad person. I could see Mylene being an overprotective godmother to Alizee, and probably didn't approve of Alizee and Jeremy. I could see how any independent 20-year old could object to anyone including mom and dad telling her whom she could love or not. You have to admit, eloping and marrying Jeremy in Las Vegas would seem like an impulsive thing that a naive, young woman would do. Where her parents even at their wedding?

Let's be optimistic of Alizee's future and stop calling her a has-been. Alizee is 27 years old now. Mylene, her mentor, didn't release her first album until she was 23 or 24. Madonna, her teen idol, didn't release her first album until she was 25 or so. Mylene and Madonna's careers had highs and lows too.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think Alizee is more popular in the huge U.S. market today than Mylene ever was or could hope to be, but unfortunately, the U.S. is 5 years late on the Alizee phenomenon.
LOL, you're joking right? Pretty sure Mylene has sold over 25 million albums worldwide and holds the record of number one hits in France, breaking her own record. She is one of the most successful artists of all time in France.

The problem with Alizee in the US is that Americans are just too stuck up for French songs. If she wants to be successful in the US (which I don't think she does, personally) she would have to record a completely English album. Seriously.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
LOL, you're joking right? Pretty sure Mylene has sold over 25 million albums worldwide and holds the record of number one hits in France, breaking her own record. She is one of the most successful artists of all time in France.

The problem with Alizee in the US is that Americans are just too stuck up for French songs. If she wants to be successful in the US (which I don't think she does, personally) she would have to record a completely English album. Seriously.
I'm not going to bash Mylene's accomplishments to make Alizee's look better. Mylene may be the big fish in France, but she is nowhere to be seen in the U.S. I am positive that if Alizee got any airplay in the U.S. during her prime, she would have been a big star despite the language barrier. And capturing a small part of the 300 million consumer market in the U.S. would crush what Mylene did in France. Mylene could never cross over into the U.S. market.
And do not generalize and say Americans would not accept a French singer. This forum is filled with American fans of Alizee! Problem is, the corporate media control what we see and hear, so most Americans will never be exposed to Alizee without some effort by her management and fans. Almost everyone I know who has seen a video link that I posted has been immediately enamored with her. It's not just Alizee's beauty because there are plenty of sexy pole dancers that pass themselves off as singers in the U.S. that fail to gain any interest. Alizee has the presence and the voice too. There are 2 kinds of Americans - Alizee fans and people who don't know of Alizee yet.