Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Talking hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
I'm not sure who, but somebody mentioned that they wrote the site's address on their desks for every period, I thought that was cool and I've been doing that, I just hope my teachers don't realize it's me lol. I also included a picture of Alizée in one of my projects. I got an A on that
desk-writing sounds like an efficient way to get the news out....I'll try that...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Did anyone think to ask the French Embassy about getting Alizee over here? The place seats 300. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for us! I just read about...well here you go:

"I didn't think anyone would come at all," the celebrity chanteuse Jane Birkin marveled to a full house of 300 blizzard-braving fans at the French Embassy on Tuesday night. "Bless you, bless, you, bless you."

It was Birkin's first-ever visit to Washington on a tour meant to highlight her strengths as a singer-songwriter as she steps out from the shadow of her late lover and collaborator, the legendary French star Serge Gainsbourg. At 63, she has a fuller, rounder voice now, but it retains the charming, breathy quality for which Birkin was best known in the late '60s and '70s. With stylistic nods to Tom Waits, Kate Bush and Beth Gibbons (of Portishead fame) she flitted effortlessly between her native English and French, delighting the audience with Gainsbourg standards as well as seven songs from her 2008 album "Enfants d'Hiver" ("Winter Children"), which marked her late coming of age as a songwriter.

Her four-piece band -- upright bass, cello, piano and guitars (and a ukulele for good measure) -- ably supported a 95-minute set that ranged from romantic ballads to playful cabaret numbers. Different aspects of Birkin's personality shone through. She stood military-straight center stage as she delivered a flinty and embittered "Aung San Suu Kyi," protesting the imprisonment of the Burmese Nobel laureate. Later, she was the sweet gamine, carrying a parasol made entirely of lights while strolling the aisles and serenading the audience with "Yesterday Yes a Day."

She appeased Gainsbourg fans by delivering a punchy "Ford Mustang," a swinging "Pauvre Lola" ("Poor Lola") and a hauntingly nostalgic "Je Suis Venu Te Dire" ("I Just Came to Tell You") that would strike a chord with anyone who's ever been young and in love in Paris. Gainsbourg (who died in 1991) and Birkin had a 13-year love affair and a daughter, Charlotte Gainsbourg, now a star in her own right. Sadly, without Serge, Birkin could not resurrect their sexually explicit first duet, "Je T'Aime . . . Moi Non Plus" ("I Love You . . . Me Neither"), the 1969 No. 1 hit denounced by the Vatican and banned by the BBC.

Nonetheless, the kittenish sexuality was still there, both in song and in stage presence. Her infamous bangs are gone, her hair cropped short and tousled. She dressed a la garconne in black trousers, a man's white shirt, black vest and tie. Although Birkin never found fame in the States, her popularity never waned among Europhiles, and it was easy to see why, especially amid the whistles and roars that prompted the encore.

So: Alizee could do the same thing too I guess, right?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAnthem View Post
Did anyone think to ask the French Embassy about getting Alizee over here? The place seats 300. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for us! I just read about...well here you go:

"I didn't think anyone would come at all," the celebrity chanteuse Jane Birkin marveled to a full house of 300 blizzard-braving fans at the French Embassy on Tuesday night. "Bless you, bless, you, bless you."

It was Birkin's first-ever visit to Washington on a tour meant to highlight her strengths as a singer-songwriter as she steps out from the shadow of her late lover and collaborator, the legendary French star Serge Gainsbourg. At 63, she has a fuller, rounder voice now, but it retains the charming, breathy quality for which Birkin was best known in the late '60s and '70s. With stylistic nods to Tom Waits, Kate Bush and Beth Gibbons (of Portishead fame) she flitted effortlessly between her native English and French, delighting the audience with Gainsbourg standards as well as seven songs from her 2008 album "Enfants d'Hiver" ("Winter Children"), which marked her late coming of age as a songwriter.

Her four-piece band -- upright bass, cello, piano and guitars (and a ukulele for good measure) -- ably supported a 95-minute set that ranged from romantic ballads to playful cabaret numbers. Different aspects of Birkin's personality shone through. She stood military-straight center stage as she delivered a flinty and embittered "Aung San Suu Kyi," protesting the imprisonment of the Burmese Nobel laureate. Later, she was the sweet gamine, carrying a parasol made entirely of lights while strolling the aisles and serenading the audience with "Yesterday Yes a Day."

She appeased Gainsbourg fans by delivering a punchy "Ford Mustang," a swinging "Pauvre Lola" ("Poor Lola") and a hauntingly nostalgic "Je Suis Venu Te Dire" ("I Just Came to Tell You") that would strike a chord with anyone who's ever been young and in love in Paris. Gainsbourg (who died in 1991) and Birkin had a 13-year love affair and a daughter, Charlotte Gainsbourg, now a star in her own right. Sadly, without Serge, Birkin could not resurrect their sexually explicit first duet, "Je T'Aime . . . Moi Non Plus" ("I Love You . . . Me Neither"), the 1969 No. 1 hit denounced by the Vatican and banned by the BBC.

Nonetheless, the kittenish sexuality was still there, both in song and in stage presence. Her infamous bangs are gone, her hair cropped short and tousled. She dressed a la garconne in black trousers, a man's white shirt, black vest and tie. Although Birkin never found fame in the States, her popularity never waned among Europhiles, and it was easy to see why, especially amid the whistles and roars that prompted the encore.

So: Alizee could do the same thing too I guess, right?
That sounds great BA! A 300 seat place would fit all of us I think, if we all brought friends to check it out. If this is in Washington DC, it is within 12 miles of I know I could bring 3 or 4 at least. I know I would sit at front row, they can sit where they like I wonder how many of us could make it to Washington? I think I read that there are several French embassies in the country, but I could be mistaken.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Ok well here is what I am going to do. Tomorrow is a busy day for me so I won't be on here. I will call the embassy (Washington D.C.) and see if I can get any info on getting her over here. I don't know if I'll be able to because of the blizzard (people might not be there.)

I'll ask and let you all know tomorrow night or later.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Wait wait wait... you're aiming to get her to the French embassy??

That seems to be aiming quite high. I'm not too familiar with artists performing at embassies around the world...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 PM

Fredericksburg,VA. Sorry but I wont meet with anyone that mother doesn't approve of haha jk'n. But hey I'm doing my part. I've converted 3 to Lilly-ism....J'ai Pas Vingt Ans!!!!sorry stuck in my head...o wait im listening to it haha
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAnthem View Post
Ok well here is what I am going to do. Tomorrow is a busy day for me so I won't be on here. I will call the embassy (Washington D.C.) and see if I can get any info on getting her over here. I don't know if I'll be able to because of the blizzard (people might not be there.)

I'll ask and let you all know tomorrow night or later.
One thing you gotta realize is that she has to not only be willing, but wanting to come and perform. If she don't want to come she's not gonna come. She is quite capable of ignoring the Embassy's emails for months.

Regards,

Jung

Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Against The Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
One thing you gotta realize is that she has to not only be willing, but wanting to come and perform. If she don't want to come she's not gonna come. She is quite capable of ignoring the Embassy's emails for months.

Regards,

Jung
That's the most important part, without that none of this is happening. It's disappointing to hear that she has ignored great opportunities before, but I'm optimistic and I think she will do the right things this time around. I would like and appreciate very much if we could receive input and ideas from our less enthusiastic friends, if that is possible.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post

Regards,

Jung
Yah I agree, the Verizon Center would be much more suitable...I'll def go...BRING THE NUTELLA AND ELISE JALEN!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Against The Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroniu31 View Post
Yah I agree, the Verizon Center would be much more suitable...I'll def go...BRING THE NUTELLA AND ELISE JALEN!!!!
The Verizon center is way too big, she may have a record label behind her, but honestly some unsigned bands in the area probably have more following around here, so let's be realistic. She could fill a high school stadium (mine anyway) or the 300 seat place BA mentioned with us and our friends we decide to bring. Whether she wants to or not may depend on how much benefit she sees in coming here, and that means it's up to us to make sure she knows we're right here waiting for her.

Tags
aam project, alizee, america, canada, promotion, tour