Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 PM

SaintĀlizee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Do you have a netflix account? One of the things I do religiously is watch one or two French movies a week, subtitles off, so I can listen for words, recognize them, and identify how they were said. What I did when I first started was rent every Audrey Tautou movie I could (not a crush, it was just really easy to go down the Audrey Tautou list and click ADD, ADD, ADD, and for some reason I understand her better than other French actresses).

And assuming you have access to youtube, look up interviews of people besides Alizée. It's important to hear the language spoken in a wide variety of voices. I knew a guy who thought he was cool because his chola-ass girlfriend taught him how to speak Spanish very well, but if you close your eyes he sounds like a chola-ass girl speaking Spanish. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to sound like Alizée when I speak.

--------------------

And as for Rosetta Stone, it works... and it doesn't.

It works well for visual concepts, for example it'll show say four pictures of a dog; one clean, one dirty, one running, and one sitting. Then, depending on the activity, you'll be given a caption "Le chien court" followed by the rest of the captions, where the idea of the activity is to allow you to associate the two common factors together: the image of a dog, and the word "chien"

I find there are some concepts that are just too difficult for Rosetta Stone's system to teach. They can only do it through images, and just imagine trying to make someone fluent in English by doing nothing but charades and narrating what you're doing.

Rosetta Stone is a supplementary tool that I believe should be used in conjunction with everything else I mentioned.

-------------

Before I forget, here's one astronomically helpful hint that will set you one step higher than the French 3 students at my school.

Having a hard time pronouncing the French "u"?

Purse your lips, and say "E", like "cheese"

I don't remember where I heard it but my lordy that's exactly how the French U is supposed to sound.

So when you try to say the letter "Q" in French, don't say "kyoo", say "key" with pursed lips.
Yup, I do have Netflix on my Wii. Thanks, man. You've been alot of help. I don't think I'm going to even get Rosetta Stone. I've read reviews about it, and it wasn't exactly positive. That, and along side it's price is ridiculous. I know it can help, but as for learning a fluent language, I don't thik it will help. Thanks. But would it be difficult to learn a language without subtitles? I mean, I have no clue what they're saying. haha.

Tags
alizee french