Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2024, 11:28 AM
...never wants to leave you

Location: The verdant meadows of Chicago, the only city in America
Chicago Express Service is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Davout View Post
I've heard lots of stories about Capone. At different times he seems to have "run" Chicago ! One story; when Capone was in state prison for something; the Mayor at the time hired another gangster to hit Capone's organization ! So they did. However Capone was the type that said; They hitta me, I hitta them ! So he told his Lieutenant to Hit the Mayor ! This is a lot of heat said his Lieutenant ? But Capone said get somebody from out of town, from europe ! They will do it. So the Mayor was appearing somewhere with FDR and the contract guy hit the mayor while he was on the stage with FDR. The secret service thought it was an attempt on the President and so they got the assassin before he could talk ! anyway this is the story I heard ? !
It's never been proven, but many believe it - mayor Anton Cermak's personal police detail took a run at Frank Nitti (Capone's bodyguard) in December of '32. Frank would find his way to a man named Zangara - Italian in New Jersey, no Chicago connection (to lower the chance of the police making the connection).

Three months later in February of '33, Zangara would make his shot, and 20 days later, Anton Cermak would die of the gunshot wound. Zangara claimed to be a Bolshevik out to kill all capitalists, but many believe it was a direct retaliatory hit. He was put to death in Dade County, Florida, later that year.

Roosevelt himself would drive Cermak to the hospital, where Cermak would say "I’m glad it was me, not you" - the line that would be carved into Cermak's tomb.

22nd Street in Chicago would be renamed Cermak Road in his honor.