Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Navy time - (Thread Hijack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theit77 View Post
Ed, what years were you in the Navy and what ships were you on? What did you do?

-just interested (thinking about mabye doing Navy ROTC in college)
I was in the Navy from Aug. 1980 to April 25, 1991.

I was a GMG (GunnersMate Guns) working with small arms and shipboard weapons systems. I worked on the 5"/54 Mod. 9 & 10, the Mk. 76 Oto Malera (italian gun system used on our FFG's) and the 5"38 Gun system on the Battleships that were re-commisioned in the '80's.

I was an enlisted puke for all that time - from E-1 (Seaman Recruit) up to E-6 (GMG-1 Gunners Mate First Class Petty Officer).

I was on the USS Bigelow (DD-942 - OLD ass destroyer), USS Aylwin (FF-1081 - built in the '70's) and the USS Taylor (FFG-50 built in the '80's). I was stationed at various times in Sicily, Spain, Guam, Charleston SC, Jacksonville FLA, Gulfport MS, Newport RI, and Virginia Beach VA.

I loved my time in the Navy - had a great time, saw lots of the world, and grew up a LOT. I wouldn't go back and do it now - i'm too much set in my ways now to follow anyone else' orders that i don't respect 100%, but if your young enough to get a commision - go for it - You don't have to walk everywhere, and it is work you will never see anywhere else!

AND - if you get assigned to shipboard duty - You'll see parts of the world you might never have otherwise!

I've been to England, Holland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Isreal, Lebannon, Egypt, Bahrain, UAE, Dubai, Djibouti, Kenya, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Venezualea (spelling?), Columbia, Belize, Japan, Guam and Australia. And those are the ones i remember!

ROTC isn't that bad, but if you do get a commission, remember you didn't come up through the Naval Academy - and therefore you won't be quite as "respected" by the regular O's..... Just a FYI - its not a big deal at the lower officer ranks, but by the time you hit 0-4 or 0-5, it becomes a big deal... anyway, hope that wasn't too much information.

Ed

Last edited by Edcognito; 05-19-2007 at 05:27 PM..