Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
lililover

lilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
See, the reason I said that downloading 12+GB - even via torrent - is borderline insane is because I'd NEVER do such a thing. Over here in the U.S.A., we just don't have the digital infrastructure to support such things. Our "hig speed" service providers have a tendency to throttle and delay large uploads and downloads, all the way to the point of stopping the transmissions completely. Only a tiny percentage of internet users even have access to bandwidth that would sanely accomodate huge file transfers.

And, more to the point, re-encoding the original wouldn't remove or reduce the "grain" problem you claim to see. I have a legitimate DVD of En Concert from France and I can tell you that the original 720x576 video isn't grainy at all, and that's when displayed on high quality equipment that would make such "grain" very easy to see. I suspect what you're looking at is a bootleg copy with an inferior video conversion or transfer.

Unless you buy a legit copy from Europe, you'll never get the quality you're looking for. When I did my own re-work of the DVD to make it fully NTSC compatible, I used the original French release as my raw data source, and the output I got still has a few occasional digital artifacts and some small amount of color noise (what you might call "grain"). However, for the sake of native compatibility with my video equipment, it was very much worth the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
Just realized I screwed up on the frame rate conversion explanation. I didn't actually change the native data source's "real" frame rate at all. I re-flagged all frames of the final re-mapped (scaled, new color space, etc.) video output internally to tell the player firmware that it should use 2:3 pulldown during playback, which eliminates the "judder" and skip effects that often happen during PAL to NTSC video conversion. The net effect is 25fps native PAL video (converted from interlaced to progressive) playing perfectly on 29.997fps (progressive) NTSC equipment.
Actually both of my en concert dvds are legit copies, one from amazon.fr and the other bought in Europe itself, the thing is I didn't have this problem with my old tv, this is happening only on the newer hd compatiable one. Probably because lcd/plasma technology of today does not support true black may be the problem. Even I used the original as raw, but I used it to convert it to an .avi(xvid encoding) so that I could convert it to ipod format (I brought it down to a li'l more than 1Gb with li'l loss in quality, not bad huh!?)
My prob is the NTSC conversion, as all the en concert dvds ever made were native PAL, so could you tell me what you used for conversion.
Coz my conversions mysteriously have lossy bitrates, and I would prefer to have it in 16:9 if possible!

Anyway what's the point in having 'high speed' internet if your throttled!?
Where I live, I can sue my ISP for not giving the promised bandwidth, P2P itself is not illegal on its own!